• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Amazing Patterns of Nature! Look, Find, Show!

StuartRae

We had another couple of inches of snow yesterday. This time it was wet and sticky and covered the branches of the lilac bush in my garden.
I can't make up my mind about this shot. WDYT?

EOS 350D, 70-200 f/4 @ F9, 1/100 sec, ISO 200.

snowy-tree.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I saw Stuart's thread here on Snowy Trees and realized that we should notice patterns of nature more as they can be surprisingly "modern" and even startling in their simplicity and beauty.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Stuart

I like this - I have a few of these myself and some seem to work better than others, and this is one of the moreeffective. My problem is always what I do with them later, as I return home with lots of pictures of snowy branches that I couldn't resist when I was out!

I've also been playing a bit with some tree patterns, as below. NOt the best and at an early stage, but there is a germ of an idea in there.

Mike

4402350934_bfd54a1c0f_o.jpg

Rachel Foster

Snow I can do! This is a favorite of mine, although I suspect it's an "acquired taste."

smallsnow3.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Snow

And ice, too!

smallice2.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Ice

janet Smith

pro member
Abstract of my favourite river in Scotland the River Inver at Lochinver, golden brown peaty water.

IMG_0876RInver.jpg

"River Inver"

Hello Janet,

These are officially, in my book of course, a step up for you. Excellent job! The river is gorgeous and spiritual. Is that Tolkien's Ring of Power I see in the bed below? *smiles* Oh and those weeds....just kidding...ahahahaha....I've seen you do this type of scene again and again but this one's quality of light and quality of repetition stands above the rest. It's really nice to see your work finding a more dynamic niche. Toodles.

janet Smith

pro member
These are officially, in my book of course, a step up for you. Excellent job! The river is gorgeous and spiritual

Hi William

I love the River Inver...... We had walked a long way up a difficult path beside the river, and sat alongside this pool, where I used to go as a child, I would lay on my front with my hands in the icy cold water and try to touch the salmon beneath, yes it is a magical place that I absolutely love. I was lucky with fabulous light on the dried out seed heads, I am trying to get more dynamic images, thank you for noticing, and for your kind comments.

Jarmo Juntunen

I just returned from a fantastic kayaking trip. Here's a fascinating rock formation of Ukonvuori in the Kolovesi National Park. Ukonvuori translates very roughly "Old man's hill", although my impression of this is a lot more of feline nature...

_small.jpg

Asher Kelman

I just returned from a fantastic kayaking trip. Here's a fascinating rock formation of Ukonvuori in the Kolovesi National Park. Ukonvuori translates very roughly "Old man's hill", although my impression of this is a lot more of feline nature...

_small.jpg

Jermo,

This is a fabulous site. I guess folk climb that! What you have done is show the majesty.

An idea to consider perhaps. Look at the other pictures and then you might want to only show the most powerful pattern, just the natural rock artistry.

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Thanks Asher! I wanted to leave some surroundings visible, just to give an idea of the scale. Still, I'll look into your suggestion, this view does offer a lot of possibilities!

Asher Kelman

Thanks Asher! I wanted to leave some surroundings visible, just to give an idea of the scale. Still, I'll look into your suggestion, this view does offer a lot of possibilities!

Jarmo,

Reference objects make things certain and are needed for majesty. However, to get mystery, we need to be puzzled, lost and have to find our way. Then we allow our immense libraries to be looked up and things play out in the "Cathedral of one's mind".

The first experience is concrete and physical the second is ethereal.

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Jarmo,

Reference objects make things certain and are needed for majesty. However, to get mystery, we need to be puzzled, lost and have to find our way. Then we allow our immense libraries to be looked up and things play out in the "Cathedral of one's mind".

The first experience is concrete and physical the second is ethereal.

Asher

How very true! Given the fact that this is an ancient sacrificial ground (Ukko being the main god in the old Finnish folklore, I'm beginning to agree with you.

Asher Kelman

Asher, how do you like this:

_small.jpg

Do you see the eyes and eyebrows above the giant nose?

Amazing how our brains are wired to try to match shapes, even if there's gross distortion.

Picasso, seems to have exploited that in a sort of artistic reverse engineering!

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Do you see the eyes and eyebrows above the giant nose?

Amazing how our brains are wired to try to match shapes, even if there's gross distortion.

Picasso, seems to have exploited that in a sort of artistic reverse engineering!

Asher

My thoughts exactly! No wonder ancients Finns chose this rock their place of sacrifice.

Asher Kelman

Andy,

It's interesting that the vertical shape of your first image works so well that it influences the second picture.

Watertexturecreekbed7op.jpg

So separating them even more by this text, the second horizontal picture seems to get stronger

Watertexturecreekbed3op.jpg

Postglacial:

A bay that is hidden from normal observers views, whether from the ocean or from land, you can not see this scene without risking a helluva lot.

ovs_opf_XI-14.jpg

Hi Cem, thanks!

Hey Georg, fascinating rock patterns. You indicate this is a bay, but except for that there is very little clue as to scale. Not that this is needed, of course. How was this vantage point reached?