• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

... and the Light came....

Ossi Raimi

_img1280.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Ossi,

A beautiful place of worship. The light from the heavens is like a promise of abundant blessings and forgiveness.

This is remarkable for the apparently crepuscular light. Did you enhance that effect or was it essentially already obvious?

Asher

PS- I wonder why you didn't correct for perspective and make the verticals orthogonal. Would that have detracted from the effect you were after?

Ossi Raimi

Photoshopped – the answer is yes and no. Light rays exists, but in raw file they were too dim. So I made them stronger, maybe too much. It’s possible that I make a new try….
I don’t want correct perspective. It’s just what I want. I used full frame camera and 28mm and didn’t crop picture… so it is what it is.
Thank you for comments and critics.

Asher Kelman

Photoshopped – the answer is yes and no. Light rays exists, but in raw file they were too dim. So I made them stronger, maybe too much. It’s possible that I make a new try….
I don’t want correct perspective. It’s just what I want. I used full frame camera and 28mm and didn’t crop picture… so it is what it is.
Thank you for comments and critics.

Ossi,

I appreciate your openness to critique. This is a great part of OPF. Your work is accomplished enough that it can weather even calls for greater restraint! There is the dilemma of too easilly accepting the POV of others. Some like Tom Dinning would be horror-struck at any mere sniff of a suggestion as to the composition or processing.

But we do need feedback. It can come in so many ways. But it is fair to say that in most cases, it is a valuable excercise to make all tonal, lighting, sharpening and color changes in layers. The problem is that the brain adapts to the process and one can unintentially lose one's frame of reference to the limits of normality.

I suggest that when things seem "just right", (after substantial editing of hues, tone or contrast in some way or other),reset one's view of the work by doing something entirely different for an hour or more. Then when one returns, make that layer 0% and gradually increase until one has the minimum effect that achieves one's needs.

I find it is often 3-15% but occasionally may even reach 85-90%. Still, adding back an aliquot of the original seems to improve the picture!

Asher

Robert Watcher

I agree with not correcting the perspective in this case. Leaving it as it is, has a dynamic effect of drawing my eye to the source of light at the top of your image. Quite powerful I think. Enhancing the light rays also works well if your intent was to be a bit more dramatic. The option of making the light rays more subdued would create a pleasing effect and mood as well - but totally different. Photography is a creative pleasure where we make our own choices in how we present our work. Firstly we like it, and if a few others do as well - that is satisfying too. However - you did ask for Critique - and you got it, regardless whether it is of value or not lol. Nice work.

------

Ossi Raimi

Whatever, I asked critique and I got it - thank you all for that. That picture, I'm little bit confused - it is so and so. Maybe it takes some time and then I know what to do with it

Asher Kelman

A picture like this would be perfect it would seem for a composite, where you would add a person posed for some interesting concept to be the person of interest in the picture. The setting is very rich and there is plenty of room to add figures and create something allegorical or just beautiful.

Asher