• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

flash output indication

Ralph Honsbeek

Hi there ,

totally love this forum ,

Question about flashes , just was curious to know how I can know the maximum output
of a flash unit just by reading the outside numbering.
For example , Canon 430 EX , Canon 580 EX , Vivitar 285 , just be looking at these numbers
can I assume that the output is 43 watt 58 watt and so on ? Really haven't a clue that's why I ask

thanks

Ralph

Will Thompson

Hi Ralph!

They are not watt seconds they are Maximum distance guide numbers, well at least the canon flashes are.

The 430 has a Max guide # of 43 meters and the 580 has a Max guide # of 58 meters.

Typically Max guide numbers are stated by canon as proper exposure at ISO 100 using a f1.4 at X meters.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Guide to understanding "Guide number" flash output of electronic flashes!

Hi Ralph!

They are not watt seconds they are Maximum distance guide numbers, well at least the canon flashes are.

The 430 has a Max guide # of 43 meters and the 580 has a Max guide # of 58 meters.

Typically Max guide numbers are stated by canon as proper exposure at ISO 100 using a f1.4 at X meters.

Will, Doug or anyone else,

Can you try to translate this to W/S? Of course, it all depends on the reflector, but can we have some estimates?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
Will, Doug or anyone else,

Can you try to translate this to W/S? Of course, it all depends on the reflector***, but can we have some estimates?Asher

*** And many other things!

Simple answers to questions in this area are very dangerous. It's a little bit like saying, "I have a vessel full of liquid to a depth of 6 inches; how much can we estimate the liquid to weigh?"

For those really interested in the topic, I suggest this reference:

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/Photoflash_Output.pdf

Then, once you understand the real question, some of the estimated equivalence factors in the paper can be applied in a meaningful and practical way.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Ralph,

What about the Vivitar 285 , does it cover 285 meters you think > ?

Well first, if you mean "is its guide number 285 meters", that certainly wouldn't mean it "covered 285 meters".

If you don't have the manual or a spec sheet, you can determine the manufacturer's opinion of the guide number by considering the exposure calculator on the unit (I don't have a 285, nor the manual for one, so I can't do it here).

For the Vivitar 285HV, the claimed guide number (ISO 100 basis) with the zoom set to "Tele" ("105 mm) is 140 ft (43 meters).

With the zoom set to Super wide ("28 mm") the claimed guide number is 70 feet (21 meters).

Best regards,

Doug