• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pro quality DVD slide shows for mac

Paul Bestwick

pro member
I need to produce slide shows (on my mac) that can be played on tv via a dvd player. I have not been able to find any software that does it (for mac) There is dvd studio pro but I understand that it has a limit of 99 images & as it can't be purchased as a stand alone (it is now part of Final cut studio) it costs a bomb anyway. Any solution ?

Paul

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I Paul
We're not very familiar with slideshows (but with Mac, yes since 1984!), when we have one to do we import the pics (jpg, tifs, psd, pdf etc) into Final cut pro and make an MPG2 export and burn that thru DVD studio pro.
I guess you may do it also within iMovie.
The nice feature is that you may add sounds, music....

Writting this, I wonder if Toast (the burning software) doesn't have the feature to do this for you, better check their website... it is not an expensive soft, and so usefull!
Have a look there, you may even buy it online.
http://www.roxio.com/

Have a good night downunder

Stan Jirman

Your description doesn't quite say what you mean by "pro quality" - that can mean many things. One possible solution would be actually using the supplied iMovie / iDVD software, pre-installed on your Mac (or $79 standalone if your machine is old). In iMovie you can generate transitions etc., export the thing as movie, and then burn it with iDVD.

iMovie will allow you to create a custom sound track, and you can also create 16:9 slide shows if that is what you desire (iMovie & iDVD 06). You have much more flexibility this way than with normal automatic slide show generators (such as iDVD alone), but it takes more time to create, too.

The problem with 99 images has nothing to do with DSP but rather with the DVD standard, which has a limit of 99 chapters per track. So your only way out is to create chapters that are longer than one frame - say a chapter mark every 10 images or so (thus for a max of 990 images).

If you use DSP then you can burn slide shows to HD-DVD, which has a much higher limit for chapters per track (I forgot exactly). Of course for that you'd need to get a HD-DVD burner and player, which is pretty pricy :) DSP doesn't support Blu-Ray recording yet (does anything, anyway?)

The other option with DSP would be to create multiple tracks with 99 images each, and then link them together. In DSP you can link pretty much anything with anything, and make the DVD go from one track to another at its end instead of going to the main menu. However, you need DSP for this (iDVD won't do) and outside of costing a lot of money the usage of such power features is ... pretty tricky should we say.

Richard Rickard

slid show

I purchased a I mac in Oct and did a DVD and used it on my TV.
If you purchase I Life which came with My I Mac and using I photo which I used to make a DVD , you also can make a web page, movies ect. ,using this softare.

Good luck I love My Apple __No more Windows