• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nikon 24-120mm f4

Jerome Marot

Opinion: 24mm is a lot more useful than 28mm for a travel lens and 300mm is rarely necessary unless you are interested in wildlife.

fahim mohammed

Hi Jerome.

Agree with you fully re: 24mm being much more useful for travel than the long end.

Contemplating zoom but could just buy the 24/1.8 and pair it with my 50/1.8, 85/1.8.
Looking to reduce weight and/volume.

Thanks.

Opinion: 24mm is a lot more useful than 28mm for a travel lens and 300mm is rarely necessary unless you are interested in wildlife.

Jerome Marot

Contemplating zoom but could just buy the 24/1.8 and pair it with my 50/1.8, 85/1.8.
Looking to reduce weight and/volume.

I don't think the difference in weight and volume would be significant between this collection of primes and the zoom, more important will be the difference in aperture, the stabilisation and the fact that primes need to be exchanged when the zoom changes focal by the turn of a zoom ring. In other words: nobody can really answer that question but you, it is entirely a matter of personal taste.

fahim mohammed

And that my friend Jerome, is what I am struggling with!

Stay well.

I don't think the difference in weight and volume would be significant between this collection of primes and the zoom, more important will be the difference in aperture, the stabilisation and the fact that primes need to be exchanged when the zoom changes focal by the turn of a zoom ring. In other words: nobody can really answer that question but you, it is entirely a matter of personal taste.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I used the 24-120 on the nikon d800 almost exclusively while traveling. It served me well. Now that I have downsized to Fuji I'm using the 18-135 or 18-55 as the attached lens and 10-24 tucked neatly in my man bag. Not missing the weight of nikon. I still rely on my own sensors to get the picture I want. It's cheaper and I have nothing to blame but myself for a bad picture.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I used the 24-120 on the nikon d800 almost exclusively while traveling. It served me well. Now that I have downsized to Fuji I'm using the 18-135 or 18-55 as the attached lens and 10-24 tucked neatly in my man bag. Not missing the weight of nikon. I still rely on my own sensors to get the picture I want. It's cheaper and I have nothing to blame but myself for a bad picture.

What Fuji do you use and what's the sensor size?

Asher

fahim mohammed

Thank you Tom.

I always blame my equipment for bad pictures. Others always have better equipment and that's why all
Of them make better images than me.

So I am looking for gear that allows me to make images as good as them.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Thank you Tom.

I always blame my equipment for bad pictures. Others always have better equipment and that's why all
Of them make better images than me.

So I am looking for gear that allows me to make images as good as them.

They are already as good, if not better, because your heart is in them. The camera has no heart. Personally, I look forward to your photos, especially those of your family. There are occasions when I think you try too hard to please. That's wasted on me. I'm Emily pleased. Of all the people I know through the web, you are on my priority list of people to meet. A firey exchange will surely ensue, as would a good belly laugh and a firm hug. Manly, of course.
Cheers
Tom

fahim mohammed

Only those that are content to swim forever in the sea of mediocrity do not try their utmost to please
themselves.

I prefer not to swim in such waters.

Jerome Marot

Only those that are content to swim forever in the sea of mediocrity do not try their utmost to please themselves.

I do not think that any of the active members of this forum can be described as "content to swim in the sea of mediocrity". You are probably mistaken.

Why don't you just buy the prime and the zoom, test the setups for a couple of weeks and finally find out which of the two setups you prefer?

fahim mohammed

Jerome, this response has nothing to do with cameras or anyone on this forum. It was a response to a post by a certain Tom that mentioned ' try hard to please ' or words to that effect.

Sorry I did not quote the post or the words in it. That would have saved some misunderstanding.
Re: the zoom, I have been to the dealer. No, not for me. Does not balance the way I would like on the Df. And heavy...about 0.8kg.

Jerome Marot

Jerome, this response has nothing to do with cameras or anyone on this forum. It was a response to a post by a certain Tom that mentioned ' try hard to please ' or words to that effect.

Yes, I understood that.

Re: the zoom, I have been to the dealer. No, not for me. Does not balance the way I would like on the Df. And heavy...about 0.8kg.

So... the prime, then?

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi, Tom,

Maybe a Freudian slip by the spell checker in your browser's text editor.

Or maybe not.

Best regards,

Doug

Thanks, Doug, but I prefer the anticipation of the unknown. Spell checkers are much more creative that I could ever be. Emily does wear a slip. Silk I think, not Freudian.
Cheers
Tom