• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Portrait of my niece

Jeff Mims

She is 16, and just as sweet as she can be. This was taken in June, of this year.

67238731.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Jeff,

She's so sweet! Really like you! Do you want critique or just sharing. I the latter case, glad to see your work. What did you use?

Asher

Jeff Mims

Not afraid of critiques, but right now I'm just sharing. Hopefully I can share improved images in the next few months.

I used a Canon 30D, 24-70 f/2.8. It was just an impromptu portrait. I *should* have use some sort of fill, or reflector. It was about 2 pm, and sun was too high overhead. Still....I just like her pose. Nothing directed.

Mike Spinak

pro member
Nice picture. I do think some fill would have helped.

If you are not adverse to post-processing manipulations, I think it would be worth putting a light sky blue into the sky, and toning down the reflection on the earring, which I find draws my attention too much.

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

Joe Russo

Jeff,

Nice picture for an 'impromptu portrait.' Her pose and smile are very nice. And I agree with your decision to keep the background out of focus.

I agree the others that a little fill would help with the shadows especially around her eyes and under her nose. Also not sure what you do for post processing but I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you removed a few of the blemishes on her face.

Ray West

Hi Jeff,

To counter Joe's comment, I've looked at this image a number of times, and I think it is so very, very refreshing to be able to see 'untouched skin'. I think its a beautifully framed picture, well balanced and exposed, something your family will look back on, in years to come.

If it were for a model's portfolio, or similar, then other rules could apply, but for capturing an instance of a youngster's life, then this image is superb.

Go back with your lights, reflectors and pp to your heart's content, but I bet this is the one you'll love.

Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

Jeff,

As much as I have resisted thinking this way, I must express the need for just minimal kind edits for quick images of the unprepped teenagers or ladies with so many lines that hey want to wear turtle neck sweater even though they itch! So here, I might look again at the spots below her lip.

A minimal correction for blemishes is always fast and worth considering. They wil love you even more. Minor shadows they'll not even notice or mind many times!

A spot they might obsess about for hours, staring in the mirror, cursing their hormones. Older ladies wrinkles drive them to test-stretch their skin as if they have already had plastic surgery!

So a good quick duplicate layer with a gaussian blur then selectively blend just where the flaws are. You may need to spot desaturate the red, stamp repair etc on occaision too.

Forgive me for suggesting this. It's been bugging me.

Asher

Jeff Mims

Hi everyone,
I have been uable to post regulary due to time constraints, (job/family..time of year..etc). Just a quick note to say I appreciate all comments and suggestions, and have found them helpful. I appreciate your taking time to post, and I'm not offended by constructive criticism.
I fully realize I am not *the Master* of portraiture..far from it...
So any constructive criticism that helps me improve is always appreciated.

thanks again

Asher Kelman

Hi Jeff, since you are interested in getting ideas, would you like to have people touch up the skin blemishes?

Asher

Joe Russo

Jeff,

Here is a rough draft of a retouch.

Before
67238731.jpg
After
335843925_2aadeebd0d_o.jpg

For most of the blemishes I used the clone stamp at 25% opacity to cover up each blemish gradually. I also tried to tame the shadows under her eyes slightly using the same technique. Lastly I did clone out the single strand of hair on the right side of her face.

I didn't do anything to try and soften the texture of her skin as I didn't think that was needed.

Jeff Mims

Joe Russo said:
Jeff,

Here is a rough draft of a retouch.

Before
67238731.jpg
After
335843925_2aadeebd0d_o.jpg

For most of the blemishes I used the clone stamp at 25% opacity to cover up each blemish gradually. I also tried to tame the shadows under her eyes slightly using the same technique. Lastly I did clone out the single strand of hair on the right side of her face.

I didn't do anything to try and soften the texture of her skin as I didn't think that was needed.

I like it! Wish I'd thought to do that to start with. The improvements are subtle..natural. I don't notice anything, and wouldn't have without the before picture. Great job. Now I've just got to learn how to do it.