• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Portland Head Light, Maine

Monochrome Sensor Conversion = D800M

Nikon D800M,Zeiss Milvus 25mm f/1.4
1/640s f/8.0 at 25.0mm iso100
original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Bob,

Superb, warm, inviting and architectural!

......Who'd imagine, on the side, you stack hundreds of layers to build Macro pictures of a Jumping Spider or play seriously in a Rose Garden with fisheyes!

Monochrome Sensor Conversion = D800M

Nikon D800M,Zeiss Milvus 25mm f/1.4
1/640s f/8.0 at 25.0mm iso100

original.jpg

What an ideal scenario for the prowess of B&W scope of grey scale writing of form, texture and detail.

So explain this Monochrome camera, how is it transformed from a regular D800?

Asher

So explain this Monochrome camera, how is it transformed from a regular D800?

The Color Filter Array (CFA) and microlenses were plasma etched off the sensor leaving a purely monochrome image sensor. Of course, the D800 was not manufactured with this in mind and the firmware has no way of knowing this but using the right raw processor some interesting results can be obtained.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Bob,

"A Classical Analog Photograph", not a memento or part of a hired day-workers SD card! If I know Doug, he classifies you with the best!

He's an engineer and a "standards guy", so he seems to class your picture with vintage, carefully crafted, analog photography one would have to pay real money for.

He also has a wry sense of humor!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bob,

The Color Filter Array (CFA) and microlenses were plasma etched off the sensor leaving a purely monochrome image sensor. Of course, the D800 was not manufactured with this in mind and the firmware has no way of knowing this but using the right raw processor some interesting results can be obtained.

Well, that is a very interesting modification (and sounds tricky). I'm sure this can lead to some very powerful B&W work.

It's a mode I gain further respect for all the time. (Maybe watching 1940s movies does that to me!)

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug