• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Family picture

Zach Jacob

The posing probably isn't the greatest, but I thought this came out alright. Word has it that the client's parents, to whom this was a gift, cried when they opened the final 12 x 18" print. :)
769926821_9a40696be9.jpg

Larger image viewable HERE.

Angelica Oung

I think the choice of putting all the older generation in dark tops and the younger generation all in white tops and to have everyone wear denim is a very visually striking idea. How did you convince everyone to cooperate?

Everybody looks nice and relaxed which is so important in a family momento like this...you don't want a stiff, perfect portrait. So good job engaging with your subjects and making them look comfortable.

Two little quibbles...I think you can crop a little bit off the top. And maybe the white shirts are a wee bit too bright.

Zach Jacob

I could crop off the top, but the aspect ratio was pushing it as it was for an odd-sized print. They wanted something to print large and frame, without spending through the nose for a custom frame - ergo, the top had to stay.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Zach,

Thanks for sharing this happy family portrait.

I enjoy the obvious happiness of the family having their picture taken together. Interesting that the young man in the second step up has so much attitude that it makes one wonder whether or not this is his birthday.

The use of simple clothes without complex patterns brings unity to the picture and this works here.

Issues:

Lighting is great for the front rows for faces, but the last row of adults with darker skin does not appear well illuminated.

This can be simply corrected in a layer in photoshop under a copy of this picture as a layer and erase the darker faces with a brush with a soft edge.

Leg Placement The folded legs pointing inwards of the 2 figures on the left, 2cd row provide wonderful graceful sense of movement. However, the partial display of a similar limb positioning in the adult above is distracting and takes away from image. Perhaps a hand in the right place would have solved that or sufficient room like the girls below.

Cutting off portions of bodies In portraits, this is usual and most often increases the impact.
Here, however, to lose for example, the shoes of the little guy in the lower row takes something away from the picture. Same with the 2 other cut offs at lower left and upper right respectively.

Background The use of the uncropped upper steps is a matter of artistic choice. In favor, it provides context and also flowers which makes the picture fun!

Altogether, this is a very successful picture. Most of the issues with the great portrait can be corrected in Photoshop, including the cut-offs, since other pictures likely have this information.

As it is, this picture will be treasured and deservedly so!

Kudos!

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Zach,

Three Questions:

1. What was your lighting? The shirts have a strong element of blue and cyan. The faces, however have great color. Seems like the shirts have some fluorescent brightener!!
  2. Do you have other images from which one could clone the missing parts?
  3. Did you shoot RAW, IOW, Do have the leeway to bring back the exposure and detail of the white shirts?

Asher

Zach Jacob

The lighting was actually just an overcast day, natural light. No flash. It was kind of late in the day, and any semblance of direct sunlight would have been coming from behind the subjects (they are facing east). I did do a little photoshopping to brighten the whites a little, and any additional brightening of the faces in the back just didn't look right, lost contrast, etc.

The photoshopping, total, is:

One face swap due to closed eyes.
Duplicate layer, increase brightness and contrast just a little
Apply Gaussian blur to the top layer, then reduce opacity to 20%. This gives it the nice "glowing" look and allows the sharpness of the original image to show through.

That's it. There may be a little bit more to the glowing thing, but I have it as an automated action on a different computer than I am on here.