• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The innocence of youth

DLibrach

While on a recent visit back home, I managed to spend some quality time with my nieces. I had a blast playing with them and the youngest definitely likes to ham it up for the camera. I'm not much of a formal portrait kinda guy but family wanted some shots of the kids and I tried my best to capture their spirit. Hope you enjoy.

Cheers,
Dave

The youngest showing some of her 'funny faces':
180020049-L.jpg

A coloured version of one of the 'faces':
180018260-L.jpg

Had to get wet for this one, but couldn't resist the look in those eyes:
179997317-L.jpg

And finally, a bit of sisterly love:
180010139-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A wonderful tribute to your family!

Your niece is indeed a ham and she deserves your attention and you have delivered!

The 3rd picture, of it were in color would almost be by Loretta Lux as her expression is so adult! Add a perfect blue sky and that's it! However, your picture is perfect in B&W. It has magnetic power and is a significant photograph beyond the emotional value it has.

You have a great artistic sense and I hope you will show more of your interesting work.

Good job and thanks for sharing!

Asher

DLibrach

Thanks Asher. Your words are very kind.

The shot on the dock was done late in the day in heavy shade (she is playing with a stick that she just used to roast some marshmallows after dinner) and I had no choice but to blow out the sky in order to preserve the detail in the rest of the image. I hoped that by making it to B&W it would not distract from the rest of the image. A clear blue sky would have just been icing on the cake.

I have another shot that I processed with her lying on her stomach. This allowed me to get the sky out of the frame but for reasons I cannot explain, I prefer this image.

I must admit, that with a face like that, it is hard to take a bad shot of her. :)

Thanks again for the comments.

Cheers,
Dave

Barry Johnston

Fantastic Images....

Hello Dave,

This are all fantastic images...all of them. I really like the second image how the eyes matches the background....

Although she is 'performing' for the camera, she is also completely natural as well. I also think the B&W images brings out the sincerity in them as well. Beautiful capture, many thanks for sharing them.

Regards,
Barry.

Barry Johnston

What lens ??

Hi David,

I forgot to ask what lens you used to capture these images. Would appreciate some tech info as well if you don't mind.

Many Thanks,

Barry.

DLibrach

Thanks everyone! I am glad that you enjoy them.

The shot on the dock was taken with the 5D and 24-105L @F4.5. The rest were all taken with the 5D and 70-200 F4 IS @F4 (5.6 for the two girls). All shot in aperature priority with ISOs between 200-400.

Cheers,
Dave

Asher Kelman

Dave,

Having been forced to return already several times to look at all your photographs again, I realize this series has an identity and is important. I hope you will do more and add to this as you have engraved into each of your portraits the vibrancy of a very energetic optimistic and joyful child. Who wouldn't love her? In fact this is not just about this girl, but about the promise of the young.

It's the expectation that they will enjoy their innocence and then take their place in making best things about us flourish.

So your picture series is really a brat just having fun, a celebration, a prayer and a promise all in one. Great work and we're proud for you!

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Dave

Beautiful joyful images that brought a smile to my face too, especially "sisterly love"..... well done and thanks for sharing.

Barry Johnston

I couldn't agree more....!!

Hi Asher, I couldn't agree with you more.

The main reason for my interest in photography is so that moments in time like these, are captured for eternity. This is our history, and the innocence and beauty of these beautiful children (and others) must be protected above all else.

Regards,

Barry.

DLibrach

Thank you everyone for your kind words. It is hard sometimes to put up this type of work as it was taken for personal reasons. You can run the risk of being influenced by others opinions. However, I am glad that I shared it with all of you and that you enjoy them as much as I do.

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. Asher, hope ou weren't too 'forced' to view these! ;)

Asher Kelman

Hi Dave,

When I see images like the one's you have shared, I'm enriched and IMHO, so is everyone else. These photographs, taken as a whole, constitute a part of an exhibition of your work. I hope you'll add to this and again let us in!

Asher