• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Long lens portrait

John Harper

Hi there

I was messing about with my newly acquired 500mm lens trying for more of my usual bird in flight shots, when i thought i would try a bit of late evening portrait shooting.

The light was just about to dip below some buildings and was around 45 mins or so before sunset, it gave a lovely warm glow to the shot and i was pleased with the result. Shot from about 40 feet away.

John

Tech details

EOS1D MKIIN EF 500mm F4L IS ISO 400 1/1000 @ F7.1

gb1.jpg

Barry Johnston

Nice shot....

Hi John,

I like this image because of the sincerity in it. It is a nice natural pose, beautiful bokeh, and perfect lighting.
Was this cropped at all ?

I have been considering purchasing the 500 f/4 mainly for birding. I have yet to see bad images from this lens, so may have to bite the bullet, so to speak.

Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Barry.

John Harper

Hi John,

I like this image because of the sincerity in it. It is a nice natural pose, beautiful bokeh, and perfect lighting.
Was this cropped at all ?

I have been considering purchasing the 500 f/4 mainly for birding. I have yet to see bad images from this lens, so may have to bite the bullet, so to speak.

Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Barry.

Hi Barry

The image is pretty much full frame.

I cannot recommend this lens highly enough, yes its pretty heavy and it draws attention, but it is a fantastic piece of glass!.

Most of the subject matter i shoot, i find this is the lens on the camera most. If you can afford it, and can put up with the weight and size you will not be disappointed with its performance.

John

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Who else uses this lens for portraits? I heard some say this is even better than the 300 2.8. My concern is the weight handholding it. My shoots take an hour at least.

Asher