• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Todays portrait shoot

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Had a family portrait session booked for today. Used my 300 f2.8 IS for all the shots.....

Here is a couple of shots from that shoot.

famil.jpg

Family%202.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Congrats!

Great family shots, a tidy bunch there to feed!

Did you so any PS work to the last one or is all this from the 300 2.8?

Which camera? Of course, the 1DIII!

Asher

I like the first, the busy background in the 2nd distracts, IMHO. I think a more aggressive crop on #2 might help by eliminating some of the distraction.

Greg Rogers

Utterly amazing, Paul.

I despise group shots (uh, taking them, not viewing them). Blinks, dumb looks, et al. Yours are both wonderful, I'm jealous.

The second, as marvelous as it is....a phenomenon I've not seen quite yet in 3 yrs of digital. Your aperture is so tight it almost makes the background, or the foreground, whatever, look cut and pasted. I don't mean that in a negative way at all, I'm simply curious and somewhat mezmorized.

I did a quick crop and mask (blurring the background and making the the effect I mentioned above even more worser (I have a grad degree in English...just kidding). Advise if you'd care to see it. I'm not saying it's better, it's different. I want to study under you regarding group shots. Mine are awful, consistently.
-Greg

Greg Rogers

Greg I would be happy to help in any way I am able. & sure I would like to see what you have done with the shot.
Hi Paul,
After some re-analysis, my 'version' is no improvement over yours, in fact I've decided it's worse, so I won't post it if you don't mind. What a lovely and photogenic family you have!
-Greg

Paul Bestwick

pro member
no prob Greg....... ultimately both images were enlarged to A3 & framed. This is not the actual finished file, just a down & dirty conversion to upload here.

Family%202b.jpg

Greg Rogers

Far be it for me to be posting opinions, Paul, so I'll do it again anyway. :)

Not only is your re-crop extremely effective, but I just learned something from your B/W conversion. The background in the original colour version, now gone, was so colourful and had a"wow" factor that I'd have not thought to convert it BW (for fear of losing all the pretty colours). Perhaps the background wasn't too 'cluttered', just to colourful. The B/W pops. Outstanding.

Incidentally, to be clear, I am not implying criticism of the background, I'm nuts over it.
-Greg

Last edited: