• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Iron Artist

Tim Armes

Hi,

I thought I'd share a few shots with you from a shoot I did of an Iron Artist working on some of his pieces...

All the shots were taken while he worked (no posing) using one on camera flash and one off camera flash.

Comments and critiques are welcomed.

Tim

7.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tim,

I'm such a fan of the colors alone! These sienna tones are so basic to the classic Dutch, Portuguese and Spanish masters. So immediately your pictures catch my attention. The colors are, however, not the story here. This as Eric points out, tells a stroy and it's captivating!

Nicolas,

These are the pictures that I love in color, although I'm certain that they'd work in B&W. However, the leather apron, man's skin and wooden bench are one family that have a long history with man. Add iron and it's perfect. These materials, textures and hues are each part of the other in there being. I don't like so many modern pictures with jumbles of disorder, colors that have no loyalty to nature!

Tim,

Arc of Intent: these images beautifully show the expression of man's intent.

The artist is putting his creative concept using workmanship into a form that can be shipped anywhere and appreciated for it's form.

You are also transmitting in your own intent in an artistic set of images that provide not only facts and a story by convey the mans focus, concentration and dedication to his work, but also your appreciation of all you have observed.

Now here's the special point of such art.

We are led her to generalize and go beyond the specifics.

We enjoy the colors with all the cultural significance built in through thousands of years of man's struggle with nature, to think beyond the picture about mans creativity and grappling with resources to make things better for us. Each time we look at such a work as a whole, we recruit our own experience and find new meanings, thoughts and ideas about the human condition. We see man as precious. We value creativity. We are in awe.

So, that's my take on the set of photographs.

Asher

Notice, I didn't mention composition or lighting or choice of lens or how the image was processed. We might come to that later, but the images as presented leap over those considerations. Of course we'd like to know more. Don't feel constrained by my take, as this is just one view.

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Nice work Tim
If only you've posted them a bit larger, i.e. 800 pix…

Then we could plunge! they would be even more powerful (in the good sense)

Thank you for sharing - Nothing to add to Asher's post!

Tim Armes

Hi Asher,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thought provoking response to my images. I feel flattered that they would lead you to take more than a cursory glance.

I'm interested by your comment to Nicolas regarding the use of colour - did this come from some other thread?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Armes

Nice work Tim
If only you've posted them a bit larger, i.e. 800 pix…

Then we could plunge! they would be even more powerful (in the good sense)

Thank you for sharing - Nothing to add to Asher's post!

Hi Nicolas,

I prefer to post lower resolution images when showing my work to such a completely public audience.

However, I'm hoping expose my work on artisans, so if you're up for visiting the Vercors I'll invite you see them in the flesh when it opens....

Tim

Asher Kelman

Hi Tim,

The purpose of OPF, besides being our den for kicking back and shooting the breeze, is too show each other interesting paths in which creativity is possilble and worth exploring. This way, we can travel with so many fine photographers and those hoping not to get lost and needing a signpost.

What's clear about good photographers today, is the realization that we need to try to respect our subjects as much as ourselves. I know I trespass in street photography and others trample on flowers. However, I've watched Mike spinak and he's meticulous about not disturbing the wildlife or plants when he makes his pictures.

You have a regard for your subject beyond respect and we sense admiration. So here I am in Los Angeles and you bring me into the workshop of an artist with Iron somewhere in France and I can feel the light from his torch and the noise of his hammer.

Hopefully, this will inspire others to look at the uncle who was in the Korean War or a friend who has a boat or the woman who cleans the floor, all of whom are there as worthy subjects.

The main thing one needs is to see something in another person you can engrave in a photograph so that others can feel what you feel.

So I see your work as being exemplary of what others might so in looking at family, neighbors and themselves as worthy subjects, not to do in your style but to put in the same amount of respect, care and skill.

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

and to color! Nicolas is one who of course loves color. France would still be Bresson's France without color, but not the France Nicolas sees. It so happens that Nicolas uses natural light mostly and prefers hues of nature: wood, leather and good glass and china and like me the reds of wine, French wine, bien sur!

We have a long standing but wonderful tug between his use of color and not B&W, although he appreciates some photographs planned that way from the outset. I find color over used and clumsy in many case and is the cheap commercial way of catch attention with little subtley. Black and white requires a much more careful attention to tonalities of course and the result can be a much richer and less jarring experience.

Your color, I'm sure pleases Nicolas to the nth. It's perfect and there is nothing out of place. To me, this richness is what B&W strives for and we, in fact, build such perfect palettes in our own minds, drawing from our own rich libraries.

You picture is so special that making it black and white would be tearing apart something alreadt perfect. When a work acquires such a presence, it must not be altered!

Anyway, there are a lot of instances where Nicolas will chastise me for wanting something in B&W and while I respect his esthetics, I feel he's too much influenced by his more beautiful world!

Where I travel, even in the finest areas, people seem to have no idea of color for clothes, hair or buildings. Worse they allow the strong colors to get dirty. This reminds me of seeing cheap old whores who compensate for their age with increased layers of lipstick, but they still look trashy!

Black and white, however, get's us past these superficial distractions so we can see more of the nature of things and how they fit in with one anther is sharing the light and showing shape and texture. When color works in harmony with all these, yes, it's preferable to me and it must then be done right!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Nicolas,

I prefer to post lower resolution images when showing my work to such a completely public audience.

However, I'm hoping expose my work on artisans, so if you're up for visiting the Vercors I'll invite you see them in the flesh when it opens....

Tim

Hi Tim
Thanks for the invitation! Be carefull I may accept it!

Re low res image, When preparing an exposition, I don't post any pic before the opening!

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Tim

I like yours shots, you've a good-reportage eye, with well balanced compositions; can you show some more pictures?

Very nice, how they show the importance of the artist hands, even if machines are used! "The welder" has a beautifull composition, the welding mask (??) beeing a very interesting element in that picture.

Tim Armes

Hi Tim

I like yours shots, you've a good-reportage eye, with well balanced compositions; can you show some more pictures?

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the complement. I will show more shots, but I'll wait until after the entire series is finished. I'm hoping to have 130 images showing 8 different people. I'm up to 5...

Very nice, how they show the importance of the artist hands, even if machines are used! "The welder" has a beautifull composition, the welding mask (??) beeing a very interesting element in that picture.

Not an easy image to capture. I couldn't look through the viewfinder to take the shot due to the fact that I couldn't look directly at the light. I had to prefocus and press the shutter release at the right moment while looking through a darkened safety glass.

I was concerned for the sensor, but it doesn't appear to have suffered any damage...

Tim

Michael Fontana

pro member
Not an easy image to capture. I couldn't look through the viewfinder to take the shot due to the fact that I couldn't look directly at the light. I had to prefocus and press the shutter release at the right moment while looking through a darkened safety glass.

I was concerned for the sensor, but it doesn't appear to have suffered any damage...

Tim

Lucky, you...

When I had a look at it, I realised, that it wasn't so easy.
I like its dynamic, the diagonal composition reflects - within the image - the power required for melting steel, meanwhile the other shots are kinda calmer.

Barry Johnston

Great images....

Hello Tim,
These are special images my friend. I like how you captured the movement of the hammer and sparks flying. They work really well together, but above all, I really like almost sepia quality to this sequence.... were you using a filter for these ?

Thanks for sharing !!

Regards,
Barry.

Tim Armes

Hello Tim,
These are special images my friend. I like how you captured the movement of the hammer and sparks flying. They work really well together, but above all, I really like almost sepia quality to this sequence.... were you using a filter for these ?

Thanks for sharing !!

Regards,
Barry.

Hi Barry,

I often use tonalities to pull a series of images into a coherent whole. I do this in post-processing. So, the lighting is achieved using small off camera flashes, however the sepia tones are introduced later.

Tim