• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

You've got to be joking! Expressive Portraits that Project a Question or Idea.

Jack_Flesher

You've got to be joking!

At least that's what he's thinking.

M8 with 50mm lens, handheld 1/8th at f1.4, ISO 640
jim.jpg

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:

JimCollum

pro member
i think it's more like "Payback's a b*tch"

There's a reason why some photographers prefer to be *behind* the camera....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Really your portrait of this most distinguished gentleman is impressive for 1/8 sec. Even has a platinum-tinged highlight on his forehead, LOL! Imagine if leica had IS lenses. Of course this shot would make one think you did! I'm even a tad jealous! Maybe I'll get a used Leica film camera or a Bessa for classic music photography that I am doing.

So how quiet the M8 compared to the quietest Leica or Bessa, Zeiss Ikon (Cosina) or Koninica RF film cameras? I'd like to shoot without disturbing the musicians? I managed several shots from the back of the hall with my 5D wrapped in my jacket!

Hope you'll share more work with this camera! Which 50mm lens and is it coded for the M8?

Asher

BTW, the R10 is coming out soon!

Last edited:

Jack_Flesher

Hi Asher:

The lens was an older Pre-Aspheric 50 Summilux and is not coded, and I do not generally bother with the IR filters. As for noise, none of the M cameras are really all that much quieter than the 5D; almost any P&S or 4/3rds camera is better than the M8 on the noise front. However, for whatever reasons, the M8 is clearly not perceived as intrusive and draws a lot less attention in general than a DSLR.

Cheers,