• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Babies - hard work......

Yes, I know, the BG sucks and so does the little blanket. Both will be fixed next time.
What about the rest ?

350D
Manual exp
580EX (off large reflector)
430EX (through diffuser)
- both on manual

s/s = 1/200
F6.3

0054_Ss.JPG

0033_Ss.JPG

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes, I know, the BG sucks and so does the little blanket. Both will be fixed next time.
What about the rest ?

350D
Manual exp
580EX (off large reflector)
430EX (through diffuser)
- both on manual

s/s = 1/200
F6.3

0054_Ss.JPG

What a personality! He looks like he's ready to host a talk show on TV! Very mature and happy infant!

Asher

0033_Ss.JPG

Mike Shimwell

Hi Johann

A lovely model, with a great expression.

A couple of critiques - that you are free to ignore or correct me on - the skin tones don't seem quite right to me (they may be be of course, you know her) and second the lighting is not quite working for me. I think that it's maybe too flat and that you need to allow some shadow to fal on her, but also the flash has left her incredibly sharp and, in the screen images at least, it's a bit too much for me.

Of the three the last picture is the one that I most prefer - purely because of these points.

Hope you don't mind the comments, and I'm happy to be corrected (particularly by anyone who makes a living photographing babies or people:))

Mike

Thanks Guys

Fahim, yes, at only 5 months old she certainly has "attitude"

Mike, comments and critique are always welcome. We all do obviously have our own preferences and opinions, but how else would we broaden our knowledge and horizons.

Skin tone is very close to correct, actually a touch warmer in the photo.
I take note of the "flat" lighting. It is basically what I wanted, but you may be right, more shadow might be a good thing.
The catch light unfortunately ended up in the wrong place - due to placement of the large reflector. I need to get that higher up (oversight on my part).
She was VERY active, and predicting where she would be looking totally impossible - can't tell a 5 month old how to pose and where to look.
A bit less sharpening in post process is also noted. I would have preferred to shoot at much wider aperture, but once again, her unpredictable movement would have caused problems due to shallow DOF.

Sadly I will not see her again very soon. Next time she will most likely be a toddler - then we'll try again.

Andrew Molitor

I would go softer on the lighting, and also in post. That is, at least, the traditional approach to babies, and I think it works. Babies are innocent, sweet, soft, cuddly, so getting some photographic tropes to support those ideas seems to work. Hence softboxes, pastel colors, diffusion effects, and so on.

These strike me as harsh/sharp -- not a lot, but a little bit.

Also feels like there might be an excessively wide lens in play here? All babies have giant heads, and they all have their own unique shapes, but this one feels especially emphasized? It could just be her, of course, in which case, great!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great comments!

Here, I'd use available light as one has round the clock access and she can be moved to wherever the light is playing. The odd color, (in several images), might be some reflection from the pink bedspread is confusing the white balance. What's really wonderful here is the beautiful little energetic and warm child perfect for endless pictures!

Asher