• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Airborne Andean

Peter Dexter

Andean Emerald in flight

30449995862_1af084e278_b.jpg

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I'm not going to ask.

My friend from Sri Lanka has invited me to spend a couple of weeks in Sri Lanka with some bird watchers.

Actually, he only mentioned it out of courtesy before he burnt a fuking great hole in my ear with liquid nitrogen.

He knows I hate photographing birds.

As I explained to him, I have nothing personal against the avian group. Its just that I don't have that set of skills. The closest I can get is road kill.

You hold my respect for what you can do and I applaud you for your persistence and patience.

If I look at enough of your photos I might get the urge.

What is the first thing I need to do as a prospective bird photographer? Other than finding the bloody things.

Peter Dexter

Well Tom you would need to want to of course. Following that a bit of equipment the most important being a 300mm or 400mm lens. And the game is much easier if you can set up feeders to attract them.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Andean Emerald in flight

30449995862_1af084e278_b.jpg

Mike,

I have returned once again to admire this fascinating creature. Beautiful!

I think of how much work it has to do to collect enough nectar to power its hunting for insects and its otherwise only protein meal!

Asher