• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lenses for use with digital rangefinders

Besides the Leica and Zeiss M-mount lenses which now function at effective focal lengths 1.5x their true focal length, there were other, mostly Canon, lenses which were popular as affordable options back when the M2's and M3's were easy to pick up. (1970 or thereabouts.) I still have a sturdy Canon 19mm f/3.5 and a rickety plastic Canon 35 mm f/2 which worked well on my no longer used M2. Has anyone tried either on the RD-1?

The 19 was pre-retrofocus and could only be used on a Canon reflex by locking the mirror up, but it was a leading-edge lens in the 1960s. It would now be a 27mm on the RD-1 or a 24mm on an M-8 (but if I could afford an M8, I probably would have other options). Either digital part-frame option would be easier to handle than the original full-frame 19 mm.

Where does one get to handle an RD-1, btw? Are there visiting hours in NYC, Boston, SF or Paris?

Sean Reid

Hi Scott,

I tested the Canon 35/2.0 in this review: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/fastlensreview.shtml

Otherwise, I'm gradually adding to the RR articles on RF lenses so that most of the current RF lenses (from 21 mm to 50 mm) are tested and compared. As you know, the 21, 50 and Tri-Elmar articles are all up right now. The 24/25 article should be done soon, then the 28s and 35s. The makers, of course, are Cosina Voiglander, Leica and Zeiss. I'm also including the older Canon 28/2.8 and 35/2.8 in those tests. I just had a fantastic day shooting with the Zeiss 25 and Leica 24.

Cheers,

Sean

Right. I went back and recognized the Canon 35/2. Mine has a wobbly front element, which never seemed to do any harm. (and now I see why) Do you ever see the Canon 19mm? I suspect old Canons are your best source for what you have been calling bright sunny day lenses.

regards,

scott

Last edited: