• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Is it a cop out or an opportunity?

John_Nevill

Hi,

It's been a few weeks since I've posted on OPF and thought I'd share my latest venture with you guys.

I've started a limited company and decided to go into official UK product distribution. I won't plug the product yet, for fear for blatant advertising, but needless to say it's photographic equipment related.

Is it a cop out or some form of inadvertent vertical integration?

I'm not sure really, I feel passionate about the venture and have developed and populated an ecommerce site in record time, burning the candle at both ends and in the middle. I've also raided the piggy bank and invested a tidy sum in stock.

I'm confident it will do well in the UK, even considering the global economic downturn. A bit of PMA needed I think!

So I'd really like to get some thoughts from you guys. Pitfalls, positives, methods, opportunities etc.

Thanks in advance.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Business Plan, Accountant and more

I think there are a few of us here starting ventures. While it sounds like you have a product to market to photographers, many of us are marketing photography.

No matter what, every business needs to have a business plan, a marketing plan, a trusted advisor - could be an Accountant or an Attorney, a good operations plan and a good set of books (Accounts as you call them accross the pond). When you run any venture by the seat of your pants you risk so much - especially in this economic environment.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi John,

I'm a fan of yours! If there's anything we can do to help you let me know. All of us need to earn a living somehow! There's nothing wrong in it being related to any part of photography. The only issue is will it substitute for your devotion to actual picture-making and drain you!

Asher

I'm confident it will do well in the UK, even considering the global economic downturn. A bit of PMA needed I think!

So I'd really like to get some thoughts from you guys. Pitfalls, positives, methods, opportunities etc.

Thanks in advance.

Well.... and I cross my fingers for you! :)

- Pitfalls: Timestealers; Weather <grin>
- Positives: My business!; Landscapes
- Methods: Keep learning; Walk a lot <grin>
- Opportunities: Up to us to create them!

Good to hear from you John! :)

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi John

don't tease us!

If your marketing plan allows you, tell us more!

For the rest of your questions, I would only add to the -as always- good advises of Kathy to also keep going some foolish takes, some "unplanningable" stuff, otherwise one wold never start a new business nowadays!

C'mon, we're caught! what's your product for photographers?-)

John_Nevill

Well guys,

It's official UK distribution of Feisol camera supports. www.feisoluk.com

One week in and business is looking good. Sales have exceeded my initial expectations and now I move into the cashflow v orders balancing act.

Georg, nice to talk earlier, will keep in touch!

Feisol meaning "fly to the sun" :)

Yup! Thanks for calling John, sorry I had to run, a bit crazy here at the moment.

Drop me your phone number, and btw. you can call anytime, evenings no problem!