• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Float

Brandon Cade

TheFloat.jpg

The Float

This photograph is of a horse being prepared for a vet or an equine dentist to have his teeth ground down smooth. Horses teeth create sharp points created by their grinding motion that they eat. By grinding the points down they're able to digest all that they attempt to eat instead of it falling out of their mouth. This procedure is often called "floating."​

Brandon Cade

Yikes! Poor creature. I guess it's for the best but I'll have to ask - doesn't that hurt????

John,

They are given a light sedative that kinda knocks them out of it. Then this device is applied to simply hold their mouth open as the doctor examines their teeth. Once that has happened they take a drill hooked to a round disk like instrument that doesn't break the skin and it grinds the teeth down. It is sorta like getting a cast removed off of a broken bone, if you have ever experienced that.

-Brandon