Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Entry Digital Photography

Entry Digital Photography Entry to a digital world can be eased. Try us!

Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:45 AM

Default Shots in the Dark!

I'm just learning so have fun, any tricks or advice you can provide to make shooting at night look better, go for it.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:43 AM

It all depends on what you want to achieve in the photo.
just remember that the higher the ISO the more noise you will have.
And a must is a sturdy tripod and head, Cable release or self timer.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:46 AM

I understand, I shot all of those without a tripod.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:40 PM

I like the top one.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:03 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Shots in the Dark!

Brandon,

I have to take shots in the dark too in commenting! You have posted 3 images which share little in common beyond being taken at night outside using light from electric light bulbs of various colors.

Brandon Cade Shots in the Dark

In this first image, the water is a ghastly blue and offset slightly from the center. It's not immediately appealing to me in the way it's presented.

This picture is different since there is detail of interest and a pattern of the rows of lights. It's clumsy industrial design, using existing forms to make an object to perform a function speaks for itself. The two simple box power switches reinforce this utilitarian workhorse design, so any art is derived from it's function to attract attention to hold the colored lights. To the eye, no doubt, the metal work is not obvious. What part this apparatus plays in our life we're not sure of, but this is at least interesting!

This last picture appears to be a shot up the dress of a ferris wheel. The angle creates a mass of diverging lines studded with lights. One partial arc of steel on the left connects us to the notion of the large wheel and it all then makes sense.

Shooting in the dark is a great exercise. You subjects get better. It would be helpful if you yourself would try to ask why a picture is interesting and then share that. As it is, I have drawn out my own reactions but it would have been easier to have some of your thoughts.

Frankly, the first one I'd have not shown in that form. Still, it may look fine printed large in a particular milieux, but for now, I'd pass on it. The next two are then stronger.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 02:44 PM

I was drawn to the blue color. Just goes to show, you never can tell who will like what.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:11 PM

Asher, Thank you for your thorough evaluation.

Others who have commented, Thank you.