Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Entry Digital Photography

Entry Digital Photography Entry to a digital world can be eased. Try us!

Old January 4th, 2012, 05:59 AM

Default Texas Morning

My wife and I went to help her Dad pack up. He's sold the farm in Texas and is going back to California. We were headed out early to get home ahead of the drunks on New Year's Day, and the light was really nice. Unfortunately I only had a few seconds. Fortunately, I had a camera handy.

Texas Morning
Bob Rogers
Old January 4th, 2012, 07:20 PM

Hi Bob,

Beautiful photo, I'd say a meaningful capture for a new start.

Regards,

Ruben
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:14 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rogers View Post
My wife and I went to help her Dad pack up. He's sold the farm in Texas and is going back to California. We were headed out early to get home ahead of the drunks on New Year's Day, and the light was really nice. Unfortunately I only had a few seconds. Fortunately, I had a camera handy.

Texas Morning
Bob Rogers

Bob,

This is of course quite beautiful. I wonder whether there's any detail or differences in shading in the dark tones in the lower part and your thoughts on the composition with such a large space of black. What does that serve? This must not be taken as any suggestion that somehow your choices are "incorrect"; far from it! I am interested in the function of black space and wonder what it might mean in this instance.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 5th, 2012, 03:52 AM

This is indeed very nice: the shape of the trees, the morning mist, the fog, the colors. A very delicate picture.
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:08 AM

Hi Asher,

On my monitor I can see detail in the grass in the foreground.

I hadn't thought about it, but using my hand to block off the bottom half of that dark area seems to improve the composition though. Thanks.

In reality, the property doesn't look that good, so a dark exposure plays up the mist and the delicate color of the sky while subduing the ground.
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:35 AM

Hi Bob,

Quote:
..On my monitor I can see detail in the grass in the foreground.
If that is the case, I suspect that the brightness of your monitor may be too high. This will cause various problems such as your prints coming out darker than what you see on your screen. Perhaps this thread might be of interest to you. Also recommended is the "why are my prints too dark" article by Andrew Rodney.

flickr
website
Old January 5th, 2012, 10:41 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Hi Asher,

On my monitor I can see detail in the grass in the foreground.

I hadn't thought about it, but using my hand to block off the bottom half of that dark area seems to improve the composition though. Thanks.

In reality, the property doesn't look that good, so a dark exposure plays up the mist and the delicate color of the sky while subduing the ground.

Bob,

Be careful of meeting expectations of others. It's important that we all don't merge into one style. You must b e true to what you need for your own passion. So only crop if it helps express what you want in the way you feel.

As for printing, I always think looking on the screen, which is back-lit, is one thing and printing is another. I assume that there's always more work to be done for actually printing!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:45 AM

I've been looking at this photo of yours on and off for the last week or so.

It's fascinating as it stands: there's a hint of possibility, a hint of something about to happen. I get the feeling there's a whole new day opening up ahead. Given the new years aspect I guess that's appropriate.

You should take the time to print it