• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

5D bettery choice?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I must say I'm spoilt by the ever-ready rabbit living inside my 1DII batteries. They go on forever!

The 5D batteries remind me of the Eos 3 batteries and a spare was always at hand. They seem to be good for about 450 shots or so.

So what do people use? A bunch of them? Then what: a dual charger?

It seems that the Canon add-on battery portrait-grip-shutter-release module adds weight that takes away some advantage of the 5D.

So what do you do inpractice and do these little batteries need to be totally run down before recharging?

Asher

Diane Fields

Asher Kelman said:
I must say I'm spoilt by the ever-ready rabbit living inside my 1DII batteries. They go on forever!

The 5D batteries remind me of the Eos 3 batteries and a spare was always at hand. They seem to be good for about 450 shots or so.

So what do people use? A bunch of them? Then what: a dual charger?

It seems that the Canon add-on battery portrait-grip-shutter-release module adds weight that takes away some advantage of the 5D.

So what do you do inpractice and do these little batteries need to be totally run down before recharging?

Asher

Asher, I seem to have a bunch of batteries from my other bodies--all of which fit the 5D. I've also bought very inexpensive 3rd party batteries which seem to last as long as the Canon ones. I just stick several batteries in my bag or pockets--and have never run out of battery power. I always used a grip on my other 'double digit' bodies, but have found I prefer the 5D without and have an RRS L bracket on its way with the lugs for a wrist strap--my preferred carrying method unless on tripod. I still have a grip for my 10D, but don't have it attached. I sold the one for the 20D but it was only used on one commercial job where I had to shoot for a day and a half vertically without tripod.

I'm not sure if the batteries need to be completely run down--I know that has come up before. In practice, I sometimes charge mine when they are not completely rundown--for good or bad. Since I seem to have quite a number (I write dates on the side to keep up with them)--and they are pretty inexpensive, I've never had a problem I've only disposed of one Canon battery--maybe one 3rd party (the Canon was probably 4 years old). I have several chargers--(my dual went with the D60 when sold)--so I use them to keep several charged at all times--the beauty of having inexpensive ones. I'm not sure if this will help you (not sure where you live), but here is the link for the inexpensive batteries http://www.sterlingtek.com/ln03-canon-bp-511-dlc511.html

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Diane,

A perfect referral! Just hat I needed. Thought I had seen these battteries before: they're G3/G4 batteries!

I'll get a bunch of them and several chargers and ,"Bob's your uncle!"

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
The BP-511 series are Li-On batteries which do not need to be run down in order to not get memory effect. They are not subject to it. i use both Canon and 3rd party batteries, and do not keep track of what I am using, so I cannot speak to which last longer. Of course it is easy to have a spare or 2 in your pocket, and auto/AC chargers are redily available. The problem with the 1 series is that the battery is sooooooooo heavy, and to carry a spare is a pain, but to not carry a spare is going into dark territory, unless you know that Murphy is not around.

I do not use the battery grip on the 5D as it takes away the size weight advantage. A spare in the pocket works well for me.

Juli Valley

I'm with Michael,

which is great company. The 5D batteries last a good while, are cheap to have extras, and they are not huge and heavy like the 1 class batteries. They also don't have memory, so you can top them off without worry.

DanHonemann

banding with 3rd party batteries?

I'd heard a rumor that some third party batteries could actually generate interference leading to banding in the 5D. I take it from those who have participated in this thread so far that this hasn't been an issue. My inclination would be to buy and use the higher mAh batteries offered by Sterlingtek.

Dan

Michael Tapes said:
The BP-511 series are Li-On batteries which do not need to be run down in order to not get memory effect.
Yes, it is correct. In fact I read (somewhere, but you can search on internet about this topic) that a total discharge of a Li-Ion battery it is not the safe way to proceed in order to keep your battery in a good life cycle: partial discharges produce less wear than a full discharge.

Michael Warren

I just bought a pair of the Sterlingtek batteries this week. Wow what a great price! I had them charged and ready to go the day before my 5D arrived, so I took the camera right out of the box and powered it up. I cant say how they will last, but seem to be highly recommended on many forums. If they work well, then I saved $75 on the pair over canons cost. Its easy to have a handful at that price.

Daniel Harrison

pro member
I really like 3rd party batteries- that is all I use. They work great last longer and are cheap. So I carry lots of batteries and my 1D mk1 eats them alive.

But the weight is a downside -they are HEAVY. If you cut chimping out, you will save on battery, and it is nice to not be so reliant on the LCd, but I still chimp ;-)

Joe Marques

MWarren said:
I just bought a pair of the Sterlingtek batteries this week. Wow what a great price! I had them charged and ready to go the day before my 5D arrived, so I took the camera right out of the box and powered it up. I cant say how they will last, but seem to be highly recommended on many forums. If they work well, then I saved $75 on the pair over canons cost. Its easy to have a handful at that price.

Be prepared for a pleasant surprise - the sterlingtek batteries last LONGER than the OEM that came with the 5D. I have 3 sterlingtek - couldn't be happier.

Tom Yi

Agree with the folks above. I've had several Sterlingtek batteries and they hold more charge and are cheaper to boot. I'd get an extra on and carry it in a bag or something. That way you can get about 450 with the Canon Battery and about 600 with the Sterlingtek. If yo shoot more than 1000 at a time, then you may need more batteries, but I think that'll do for most shooters.

Kim Fullbrook

For my shooting the original 5D battery lasts plenty long enough. It will get through a whole day out in the field whereas my old 10D needed a battery change in late afternoon. Having said that I still carry multiple spares but don't need them. Many 3rd party batteries are so cheap (10% of the price of the Canon spare) that it's worth buying a couple. I wouldn't recommend buying a spare Canon brand battery unless you have $$$$ to burn.

Ray West

Li-ion batteries are quite a bit different than ni-cads or nmh, lead acid or whatever. They are difficult to charge properly, and quite fragile. They deteriiorate wrt capacity quite rapidly, whether you use them or not. Generally, they have a microprocessor inside, to regulate the charge/discharge rate, overcurrent protection, and other devices. Many proprietory manufacturers (thinking Sony, here) have a third terminal (info-lithium) to enable the battry to communicate its state to the charger or camera. Their video cameras can lock up if you do not use a Sony battery, so I've been told.

Now, that means in some instances, you can't mix chargers and batteries, or more likely you can, but you will not always get maximum capacity from battery b, using charger a, say. Some, very cheap batteries will overheat, explode, fail, whatever, due to the leaving out of essential components. (There is usually a pressure relief valve and other safety devices in li-ion batteries.)

I believe Sterlinteck batteries/chargers to be quite good, but, if you hit a problem, if say something happens that a third party battery damages your camera, who accepts liability?

For myself, I take that risk, I am not trying to spread fud, but just 'cos things appear to be the same, they are not always the same.

Best wishes,

Ray (I want smilies and a spel cheka.)

Tom Wilk

I have two Canon batteries - I split time between using the battery grip and not using it. I haven't run into a situation where I'm short of battery power. If I were heading into the wilderness for a spell where I didn't have a chance to recharge frequently, I'd carry an extra pair of batteries.

Kirk Darling

Ray West said:
Li-ion batteries are quite a bit different than ni-cads or nmh, lead acid or whatever. They are difficult to charge properly, and quite fragile. They deteriiorate wrt capacity quite rapidly, whether you use them or not. Generally, they have a microprocessor inside, to regulate the charge/discharge rate, overcurrent protection, and other devices. Many proprietory manufacturers (thinking Sony, here) have a third terminal (info-lithium) to enable the battry to communicate its state to the charger or camera. Their video cameras can lock up if you do not use a Sony battery, so I've been told.

Now, that means in some instances, you can't mix chargers and batteries, or more likely you can, but you will not always get maximum capacity from battery b, using charger a, say. Some, very cheap batteries will overheat, explode, fail, whatever, due to the leaving out of essential components. (There is usually a pressure relief valve and other safety devices in li-ion batteries.)

I believe Sterlinteck batteries/chargers to be quite good, but, if you hit a problem, if say something happens that a third party battery damages your camera, who accepts liability?

For myself, I take that risk, I am not trying to spread fud, but just 'cos things appear to be the same, they are not always the same.

Best wishes,

Ray (I want smilies and a spel cheka.)

The only case I've ever heard of damage or danger from a BP-511-type battery has been from counterfeit Canon batteries--batteries that are actually marked "Canon" but are not genuine. The Canon-Europe CPS site has a PDF about them. These show up as a problem immediately because neither the Canon rechargers nor the cameras communicate with them very well. In that regard, it may be safer not to purchase a "Canon" branded camera. www.canon-europe.com/Images/13_262231.pdf

There is some intelligent communication between charger, camera, and batteries, and IMO if the comms is troublefree, the battery is likely to be troublefree (not regarding, however, whether the mAh rating is accurate).

Presuming the current multi-battery grips work the same way the 10D grip works, it doesn't matter whether or not the batteries are matched. The voltage must be suffcient or the camera won't talk to it. If the voltage is sufficient, the only signficant difference will be mAh, and that won't matter because the grip will draw from the stronger battery until it's equal to the weaker, then draw from them alternately so that they are drawn down at the same rate.

My limit of risk is merely to buy batteries from a branding company that at least has a web presence, and preferrably a brand that is sold by more than one major outlet. If they communicate well with my Canon chargers and cameras, they should be okay.

I'm not surprised that Sony has developed a way to be sure people can only use their batteries. They did the same thing with memory devices.

Last edited:

Kirk Darling

Hmm. Interesting. The Canon-Europe PDF shows a picture of a counterfeit and makes it clear that the counterfeit actually carries the Canon brand name. The Canon USA warning leaves one with the idea that any battery not bearing the Canon brand is a "counterfeit."

Asher Kelman

Well, I must say I apppreciate the advice on getting the Sterlingtek. They must have an "Eveready Bunny" inside 'cause they just keep going. With 2 batteries I get about 700 shots. With three batteries, (one of then a genuine Canon), I can chimp to my hearts delight and get about 1200 shots and delete at least 25% on 3x2GB cards + a 1GB card.

Asher