• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Any thoughts of Vista?

Brian Lowe

Hey Nik,

I have not had a chance install it on my test computers yet. I will not install Vista for my 200 network users till SP1 is released. I have learned from my past experiences... :-0

Brian

John_Nevill

I've run various builds and RCs on a few test PCs and it looks good but needs some hefty hardware. Like most revised Microsoft OS, it raises the minimum platform bar, has some nice features and many beta tester report that it manages memory better.
Will I upgrade?, probably not as I'm still patching XP on weekly basis. I also think its best to wait until a Vista SP1 is available and then buy a new PC to boot.

KrisCarnmarker

This will probably be the first operating system since Windows 2.0 that I will not be upgrading to immediately. I just can't see any reason to. When they left out WinFS I lost all interest. It seems like all thats left is a bunch of eye-candy.

From what I understand, there are quite a few things that would benefit corporate users, such as allowing non-admins more install provilidges. But I personally do not need any of those.

KrisCarnmarker said:
This will probably be the first operating system since Windows 2.0 that I will not be upgrading to immediately. I just can't see any reason to. When they left out WinFS I lost all interest.

I in general agree. My biggest uprgrade issue is handling folders filled with tens of thousands of RAW files and MSFT chose to rip that out.

Nonetheless, I expect it to be more memory efficient in a larger memory footprint than XP (XP is rock solid for my workflow at 3 GB but I want 8-16 GB for large image work).

I will either build a test box for the initial release and wait for SP1 before using it for production work or I will build a new large memory 64-bit production box for SP1 when it is released.

Regardless, I will wait for SP 1 or CS 3 before moving to it full time at which point my current system will become a file server and perhaps a batch processing server via remote desktop.

But the wait for SP 1 is the issue. I have been running XP for over 6 years (RC 1 until the present) and I am in general happy with it (using Cygwin to give a bash shell command line). I have considered OS X a fair bit, but I tend to favor upgrading more often and staying a notch below the bleeding edge of hardware development and Apple does not give me a serious choice in that realm.

my $0.02,

Sean