• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Best Autofocus Configuration??

Larry Pizzi

I have been shooting sports for a couple of years with my Canon 20D. This week, I make the jump to a 1D Mark III. I am looking forward to the learning curve, but am a bit overwhelmed by the difference in autofocus point selection and choices.

I was hoping those of you who shoot with 1-series bodies might give me some tips on which focus point(s) you regularly use in AI servo mode for sports.

First up is football, which for me means a mixture of daytime games and night games under the lights. Primary lenses will be 7-200 f/2.8 L IS and 100-400L.

Thanks.

Larry Pizzi

Jack_Flesher

I use center only, continuous, and configure the camera to activate AF with the * button. Sometimes I switch to multi-point with 7 active for action. But that's me. There are at least a dozen ways to set up AF and all are good.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jack,

How fast can you change over in the middle of a shoot? Is it instinctive like changing ISO or aPERTURE?

Asher

Antonio Correia

May be what I am going to say is not usefull here but here I go anyway and excuse me.
I sometimes find that the focusing points of the 20D are not enought.

I explain myself:
Sometimes I am shooting and I make my exact placement of the camera the way I want the photo to appear.

But my 9 focusing points are out of my subject! Then I have to move, focus, re-place and then shoot.

I assume that with more focusing points it is easier to focus preciselly. I also think that "focusing business" is a key point of photography.

Am I wronge ? Do you feel this ?
Thank you.

Nill Toulme

Antonio you are absolutely correct — although I am one who shoots almost exclusively with the center AF point.

As for the III, it seems that those who have it are still figuring it out. It's different enough from previous 1-series bodies that I think we need to withhold our preconceived notions and more or less start from scratch.

And as far as "scratch" is concerned (do you have "start from scratch" in Portugal?), that means default settings, more or less, to begin with. Center AF point, no expansion, no change of the AI servo sensitivity settings — and work from there, step by cautious step. (As it happens, that's how I've always shot my Mark II's, so it's definitely a good place for me to start — if my own Mark III ever shows up.)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Antonio Correia

"start from scratch" is in Portuguese start from zero point.
The same then :)

Thank you for your explanation about the MkIII

Last Friday I went to my usual supplier of equipment in Lisbon, to buy an humbrella to shoot a baby tomorrow, Sunday.

My person I talked to told me - if I wanted - I could have a Mk III boroughed during the weekend, to test and play with :)

It is not an usual procedure in Portugal, as far as I know.
I would like to test it and compare with the photos from the 20D.

I am afraid to be tempted ! :)
Well...
Hurry up and give in to temptation before it fades away.
Dépêchons-nous de succomber à la tentation avant qu'elle ne s'éloigne - Epicuro