• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Aussie Rules - hang time....

Barry Johnston

Here are a few pics of my first (first shoot) Aussie Rules football match. Poor light meant I had to bump up the ISO in order to stop the action, never the less, I was pleased with my first attempts.
(1D MkII N - EF300 f/2.8)

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Regards,
Barry

Barry Johnston

Aussie Rules... a few more.

I hope you don't mind a few more of the same match. I did find many limitations using just the 300mm lens; either they were too far away, or too close. Would there be a better lens to use perhaps? any ideas on that?

original.jpg

large.jpg

original.jpg

Regards,
Barry.

Nill Toulme

Good stuff Barry! How does Aussie rules differ from rugger on the one hand, and American on the other?

These still look a little dark to me. Basic rule — never sacrifice shutter speed for ISO. I shoot late evening and night games pretty much exclusively at ISO 1600 and 3200 (mostly the latter). What camera body are you using? The 300 is a terrific lens in either its f/4 or f/2.8 manifestations. If you're using the f/2.8 and have enough light for f/4, it works superbly well with the 1.4x extender for more reach.

Good action and timing on all. I would like to see tighter crops in many of them. My mantra for shot selection (both in shooting and later in editing) is face/ball/action/contact. In these shots, for example, #2 suffers from lack of faces, #4 from lack of ball.

Great start and keep it up!

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

p.s. If you haven't already done so, have a look at my Sports Basics tips here.

Barry Johnston

Aussie Rules...

Hi Nill....

Aussie Rules is completely different to Rugby.... there are no similarities at all other than the ball being a similar shape. The goal posts are the widest you have ever seen, so I am always amazed how anyone ever misses. Actually I grew up with Rugby and prefer it to AR's, but I live in Victoria which in fact is the heart of Aussie Rules, and in fact Melbourne was voted the 'Sport Capital of the World'....... amazing !! never a shortage of any sport to shoot here.....

Regards,
Barry