• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fountain at night

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cody,

Without your fountain, Mike would not have given us the link to Henry Wessel's remarkable work and way of approaching photography. Take the drawing class but watch his video several times! I will, for sure! That's how special and valuable the link is for all of us!

Cody

Just a quick note that I thought was worth saying (again!).

A 1Ds3 and L lenses would not help you progress - it might even hinder you. This link is worth a read.

Henry Wessel (follow the linnk and play the video) is a good example. Only one lens it would seem and an old film camera, but his work is dynamite. When people go on and on about processing and photoshop this is worth remembering:

"In a still photograph you basically have two variables, where you stand and when you press the shutter. That's all you have."-- Henry Wessel

Mike, Thanks so much for this hook-up!

Everyone!

This video is a generous self-disclosure from Henry Wessel, a "photographer's photographer". Look at his a devotion to photographing transient moments in the ever-changing world around us. I can't think of a more important post for anyone starting out. It even will be helpful to advanced hobbyists who think they need/deserve better gear and exotic shooting opportunities to make great art:

• If you have no money: the video of Henry Wessel will give you an entrance ticket at a price you can afford

• If you are about to buy fancy lenses for street or art work: stop, shoot for 3 months to 1 year with just one lens and you will be liberated from lens-lust!

[*]If you already are familiar with the "greats" in photography:
    HW's work will give you humility and better insight in the real world around you, changing fast and packed with opportunities.

• If you are already successful in your own photographic work: HW will immediately find a place in your heart and will likely give, even you, some new ways of harvesting what you find and what you place in front of your camera.

Bookmark the link! It has already influenced me and hopefully will reinforce my way of working.

Now, of course, this wont get you to a game park in Africa, the sheep pastures of New Zealand or allow you to shoot an eagle soaring high in the sky. It does, however, put responsibility on us to find the subject at the right time and look at it from the right angle. That you can do where you are if you get up early and look at your own world.

Thanks Mike!

Asher