• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Presentation of Photographs We have Developed: Any Place for Borders or Frames?

Robert Watcher

Andy, since I print my own images, I have my screen calibrated so my prints turn out the same as on screen. Most lcd's are too bright and people are surprised when their prints turn out too dark.

None of my computers are colour corrected - but the extremely narrow framing is visible on my iPads and Macbook. My Windows Workstation back in Canada probably wouldn't show it with the large contrasty monitor I use.

And so I too wonder oif this image wouldn't be better with a larger width --- although I personally would probably sample the off-white colour of the image background and fill the extra space with that - instead of going pure white.

Robert Watcher

For me, images presented with canvas and a thin black frame around are a must.
The way we read an image with white canvas is completely different from one without it.
When the background of the site/forum is black the last borner is useless but if it is not, it makes the image to stand on its own.
In real life it has the benefit of looking larger :) than it really is. As if we were looking at an image larger than it really is.
Images glued in Dipond or similar are very rigid and look cold. Usually they are about 2 cms away from the wall...

i-SJbqKLj-M.jpg

versus

i-DtgVQb6-M.jpg

I agree Antonio. Your image has great impact with the border around it.

Robert Watcher

Well, it all depends of the subject, the way the image is composed, the targeted audience and the place where it is shown!

For our exhibition "Three châteaux in Winter" I chose to have some white surrounding the image, to make it a bit more "luxurious"

Clinet_NCL4590.jpg
More

On the contrary for my "Bangladesh!" series exhibited first in the same place as "Three châteaux in Winter", I preferred to keep more sober, humble and give the power to the image of people shown.

_NCL6450.jpg

More

For my more contemporary images such as "Monday night" I chose to show the image intact, without any border…

98c456c7c0f85e0a7485a0d9ce55c2a9.jpeg

More

I agree with your approach Nicolas. It all depends.....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Note, that so far, no justification has been suggested or found for thick, black or other bold attention-getting frames/borders!

Andy brown

I was blessed with Spring rain today and hightailed it into the spotted gum forest.

The koala, an Australian icon is clinging to life in these forests. They do have strongholds elsewhere but have had major problems with disease and land clearing etc.
Anyway, they are a of a topic here at the moment.

Here is my capture of their plight. right there in front of my eyes!!

Also this is my first crude attempt at including a fine border so any advice on how to improve that would be very welcome.

DSC_3800%20koala%20tears%20small%20fine%20black%20border%20screen%20size_zps4hgrtmc3.jpg

Cry in the forest
Andy Brown​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was blessed with Spring rain today and hightailed it into the spotted gum forest.

The koala, an Australian icon is clinging to life in these forests. They do have strongholds elsewhere but have had major problems with disease and land clearing etc.

Also this is my first crude attempt at including a fine border so any advice on how to improve that would be very welcome.

DSC_3800%20koala%20tears%20small%20fine%20black%20border%20screen%20size_zps4hgrtmc3.jpg

Cry in the forest
Andy Brown​

This works for me, Andy, but I have not seen it without the line.

This picture does have a lot of fine lines and so perhaps it just it continues that fine motif.

Asher

Cry in the forest
Andy Brown​

I actually like this with the border Andy. To me, it gives the image presence and tells me that it is important. As for the image, as abstract as it is, it also looks like a face (perhaps a woman's) and the vertical lines gives the aspect of tears which makes your title so appropriate. Fabulous.