• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Color on an LCD

Nill Toulme

Dierk Haasis said:
What's up with the pages from Dry Creek, I just opened them for the first time just now and they are black on white with relatively large type? Using Opera 9.02 without any highly customised user CSS - I see what the authors intended us to see.
In my browser they are indeed black on white, but the type size doesn't seem unusual —about the same size as what I see here, on a nice clean page layout.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Nill Toulme

Mary Bull said:
Okay, Dierk, I've just sent a PNG to you by private e-mail.

It's what I get when I open this URL in a new window:

http://www.takegreatpictures.com/HOM...nd_Display.fci

Definitely not black on white.

Mary

You guys are talking about two different sites, I think. Dierk referred to the Dry Creek article that I had referred you to earlier, here.

Mary don't let a problem with some weird website frustrate you with the whole substantive question! ;-)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

StuartRae

Mary,

I've just dowmloaded and installed Opera.

What you need to do is:

Under Tools select Preferences.
In the Preferences window open the Advanced tab.
Click Content and then click Javascript options in the right hand pane.
Uncheck the box next to Open console on error.

Hope this helps.

Stuart

Cem_Usakligil

I use Opera and have a pretty good idea what might be going on here.
Should Mary want me to help her, I'll certainly do my best. :)

Best regards,

Cem

StuartRae said:
Mary,

It looks as if the Opera Javascript console has somehow got switched on. In Firefox it's under the Tools menu item. Maybe the same for Opera.

Any other Opera users out there?

Stuart

Dierk Haasis

pro member
OK, the Dry Creek site is definitely easily readable, the Takje Great Pictures site is one of those seizure-inducing lay-outs but still easily readable with blue on white text. I just sent Mary the link to the print version and - lucky I did - a PDF of it.

Opera hasn't gone belly-up on it, yet, and I wouldn't know why it should from the source code.

Stuart, thank you for telling Mary how to switch of the error console, which was a bit buggy in several [beta] versions before 9.02 - it tended to switch itself on and couldn't esily be switched off.

Mary Bull

Opera version 9.2.8585.0 error console

Cem. after about 7 hours of fighting that pop-up alert every 5 minutes or so, my eyes were simply worn out.

I did my best to stay with the thread, and was too intent on what was being said to me to realize that I could use FireFox, although there have been a few reports that it is more vulnerable than Opera.

So here I am using FireFox to read at OPF.

Stuart's steps went only so far. There was no Content to click on. Stuart said:
Under Tools select Preferences.
In the Preferences window open the Advanced tab.
Click Content and then click Javascript options in the right hand pane.
Uncheck the box next to Open console on error.
There was Javascript to click on, which brought up its console.

But there was no entry "Open Console on error."

If you have another set of instructions, which will match the menus and dialogue boxes of Opera v. 9.2.8585.0, I would be most grateful for the help.

It's a small leaning curve, to get familiar with FireFox, and I would really prefer to use Opera, if I can.

Mary

Mary Bull

Thanks, Stuart.

It came very close to helping. The menu in my version of Opera does not offer the choice "Content."

I have just now posted to Cem asking him if he can offer further help, for the menus and dialogue boxes in Opera version 9.2.8585.0.

Mary

Mary Bull

Dierk said:
OK, the Dry Creek site is definitely easily readable, the Takje Great Pictures site is one of those seizure-inducing lay-outs but still easily readable with blue on white text.
Thank you, Dierk. After I received your answer to my private e-mail, I explained in my private e-mail reply to you that for my eyes to resolve the characters at the "Take Great Pictures" site, the blue is too light on the white background. There is insufficient contrast in that text for me.

I just sent Mary the link to the print version and - lucky I did - a PDF of it.
And I do very much appreciate it, especially the PDF. I shall open it and read it tomorrow, when my eyes are less tired.

Opera hasn't gone belly-up on it, yet, and I wouldn't know why it should from the source code.
I very much prefer to use Opera. I just need to get this error console stopped from popping up in it about every 5 minutes. As I wrote to Cem and to Stuart, Opera version 9.2.8585.0 does not offer the "Content" choice in Advanced. I am hoping Cem will be able to help.

At present I am at OPF using FireFox.

Stuart, thank you for telling Mary how to switch of the error console, which was a bit buggy in several [beta] versions before 9.02 - it tended to switch itself on and couldn't esily be switched.
Well, I'm not there yet, and I haven't been able to find the solution for myself, using Opera Help.

But, at least, I finally realized that I do have a back-up browser on my machine, besides Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Mary

Mary Bull

Not yet, NIls.

By the time I read that post of yours, I had been struggling with the aftermath of the "Take Great Pictures" site for about four hours.

I left the computer at about noon, after leaving OPF a bit earlier, and I went to do other things, while my eyes recovered from trying to write with the Opera Error Console popping up in front of them, making me lose my place, about every 5 minutes.

After a rest, I realized that I could use FireFox.

So it's my temporary browser, until I can get Opera's manic error console calmed down.

Mary

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Mary,

I was just about to leave the house when I saw your post asking for further help with Opera. I really have to go now since I have a meeting with a client the whole day (and it will include a dinner tonight as well). So it will be some 24 hours before I can even get back to you on this. I just thought that I should let you know that I am not ignoring you or anything. My apologies for the delay. :)

Regards,

Cem

Mary Bull

OFF TOPIC: Opera Error Console and JavaScript

Dierk Haasis said:
I've helped out on Opera. I guess Mary just overlooked the entries.
Dierk, I appreciated so very much your PM with the PNG.

However, I already had that entry unchecked.

And the error console is still popping up every five minutes when I have Opera up, even with only a blank page and minimized to tray.

I think my copy of Opera 9.2.8585.0 must have gotten corrupted.

My plan is to uninstall Opera, download a fresh copy from their website, and install that.

It's the only thing I can think to do.

Meanwhile, I'm getting more comfortable with FireFox. Took the time to configure it to better meet my needs.

But I still would prefer to read OPF in Opera, and I think the reinstall will accomlish that for me.

Mary

Mary Bull

OFF TOPIC: Opera 9.02 reinstalled--error console corruption fixed

I have successfully reinstalled Opera 9.02.

The problem with the Error Console pop-up is gone.

A big thank-you to everyone following the thread for your patience with me while I was trying to deal with it.

Mary

Mary Bull

OFF TOPIC: Update on reading problems

Asher Kelman said:
Mary,

PM me with your best email, I'll send you easy to read texts!
Asher, thanks. My eyes were so exhausted yesterday by the time that I found your post, and the priority to get the Opera Error Console problem fixed so uppermost on my mind, that I put off sending you a PM.

And now there is no need.

I have read Andrew Rodney's article--which is good and basic, but I already knew most of what he said, by the time I finally got to it.

And I've read the article at the Dry Creek website. I found a couple of things in it that did meet my needs: the black-white test and the gray-scale test. The color profile which I had set up using Windows Color Management Tool seems to have worked pretty well on my low-end LCD.

I had average results (saw a definite change at step 8) with the black-white test. And the gray scale showed no bands at all to my old eyes. Plus, only a slight bluish color-cast at the far end of the white on the bar.

I am a happy camper.

Mary

Mary Bull

Slightly Off Topic: LCDs, color management, and browsers

Asher Kelman said:
You deserve a new LCD for all the work!

I'll have to email Granpa Channukah!

Asher
Thanks a mil, Asher. i hope it's not going to make too much trouble for you, editing out the conversation in re my corrupted Opera application.

It was a godsend to me to get all this on-line help with that persistent Console Error screen.

I think the thread has had a good run, and I learned a lot about color calibration on an LCD My personal thanks to all who posted, on or off topic!

Mary

Cem_Usakligil

Glad to read all is well now....

Hi Mary,

I am terribly sorry for leaving you without any answers but I have been away for the whole day and a part of the night too (entertaining clients is a though job but someone has to it, says he smilingly). Just woke up, haven't had a coffee yet but logged in to see how things have gone since yesterday. I am very glad to read that your problems have now been resolved thanks to the helpful bunch out there :). In the future, if you have any inquiries re. Opera or any other PC related issues, please feel free to PM me anytime.

Kind regards,

Cem

Mary Bull

OFF TOPIC: Cem as a PC and browser helper

You're going to be my main man, Cem.

At least, when you're not out to dinner, making your living entertaining clients. < sorry, could not resist >

Seriously, I do appreciate the offer and will take you up on it.

Mary

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Mary,

You can mail or PM me anytime, please don't hesitate. I'll PM you my personal e-mail address as well just in case.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Cem

Holly Cawfield

What an amazing amount of information there is in this thread regarding colour management. All of it worth reading and one day I know it's going to be very useful to me. It was mentioned on one of the pages about Spyder calibration.

I had the very upsetting experience Mary suggested in her initial posts. First posting photos for critique and only later finding that their colours were nothing like what I was seeing on the monitor. It was two things that brought my attention to this subject of monitor calibration and they happened within 24 hours of one another. The first was a comment about a background that I thought was quite black and the people viewing it remarked on the blotchy green background. My reaction was a very intelligent, "huh?" Later that day I picked up photos I had ordered for print and they all looked as if they had been bleached.

In a kind of comical panic, I googled and ran to the store and bought the Spyder Suite. As Asher mentioned in one of his posts in this thread it was a remarkably simple solution ....though perhaps a 'digital entry' one. Nevertheless, the photographs on my monitor and prints now match quite exactly. My learning curves in so many areas are, at present, just too steep to try and attempt anything too technical in the way of colour management. Later that may well be the case but for the present this is a very workable solution.

Just thought I'd had 2 cents. :)

Nill Toulme

Thanks for resuscitating this thread Holly. It was interesting going back over it. My own understanding has evolved somewhat since last October, to the extent that I don't entirely agree with myself anymore! ;-)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
. . . But how do we get the instructions into the LUT's?

The answer is a profile.

Not exactly.

The loading of the LUT and the function of a profile are separate but related.

- The LUT load brings the response of the monitor chain (video card plus monitor proper) to a standardized behavior - giving the monitor chain a clean (but somewhat arbitrary) "color space".

- The "matching" profile is consulted by an application (such as Photoshop), which uses it to transform the image from a standardized intermediate color space (PCS: the Profile Connection Space) to the color space of the monitor (as it has been arranged by the LUT settings).

Here's how that works in practice.

When I run a calibration of my CRT display with the ColorVision Spyder calibration system, the result is two things:

- A set of LUT entries. These have been loaded into the LUT at the end of the calibration session, and in addition a small program has been written, and placed in the Startup folder (so it will run whenever the computer is booted) which will write those same values into the LUT (each time the computer is booted).

- A profile, which is consulted by applications as mentioned above.

There is nothing that makes entries into the LUT based on the contents of the profile.