• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How many cameras are enough?

Judging from your list you seem to be ok with 8x10 and 4x5.. Only 1 5x7... but that's a weird size
You seem to be horribly deficient on the medium format front. I'm partial to 6x6.. Rollei SLR preferred..There's nothing like the mirror slap of a good 6x6 SLR....... Maybe you could pick up a couple of 6x7 view type.. I might suggest a 5d on the digital end so you have something a little smaller than the 1d models you have.. but beyond that I think you're in pretty good shape. Of course you really can't have to many now can you...... :)

There are never enough

My current stable includes the following cameras:
  • Digital Rebel (300D)
  • Olympus C-3020Z - 3.2 MPix point & shoot
  • Argus C-3 (belonged to my step-father, I still use it from time to time for 35mm B&W film)
  • Ciro-flex Model F (belonged to my father, it was my first 'real' camera, I run a roll of 120 B&W through it once in a while)
  • Kodak SIX-20 Flash - uses 620 film so it doesn't get much use any more
  • Kodak Autographic folding camera - the bellows is full of holes so this is just a display item

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Greetings Charles & Duke.

Welcome to the forums!

Charles:

Your list may be a little short but seems well on its way to a collection.
There are never enough

Exactly, The more and larger the better!

Duke:

I should have listed all the stuff I have sold off like my Bronica ETR, ETRSI 2 SQAI, Fuji GA645-60, GA654ZI, Seagull 6x6 and RICO-FLEX 6x6.

You missed the Graflex Pacemaker Crown Graphic 2x3 that can shoot 6x6, 6x7, and 6x9 on 120 and 220 film as well as I have 6x6, 6x7, and 6x9 roll film backs for 2x3 & 4x5 format.

I also have 4x5 backs for all my 5x7 and 8x10 cameras so I can shoot 4x5 Polaroid, 35-mm, & "Medium Format" film on all My "Large Format Cameras".

My main focus has been on instant photography, This means Digital or Polaroid.

With the size of 35-mm to 6x9 not being full frame on even Polaroid pack film this only leaves 4x5 and larger shooting 3 1/4x 4 1/4 pack film as the smallest usable size but even 4x5 is a little small after using the EOS 1DsMKII with a 22 inch cinema display and printing 13x19 regularly.

In the old days you shot test photos on Polaroid then final on film. I now shoot pack or sheet 4x5 polaroid for my test photos and sheet 8x10 Polaroid for the final.

Josh Liechty

My main camera is a Nikon D200. The D1 that I used to have was passed on to my parents, but I could borrow it for a bit if I needed a backup, so for accounting purposes I'll include it. There is a camera in my cell phone, but that doesn't count because I never use it.

Clearly, I'm an APS-C format guy right now, but a 135 format DSLR will probably end up in my future in a few years. If I were to have lots of spare time and money, a 4x5 and some B&W film processing equipment wouldn't be unlikely, but as the "lots of spare time and money" isn't likely to happen, neither unfortunately is the 4x5.

So how many are enough? I can't answer for anyone but myself - for me, two DSLRs make a comfortable situation, though in fantasy land I'd replace one of them with a medium format digital system.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well,

I'm happy for even support and interest in anthing outside of digital photography.

At least Will is trying to rejuvinate interest in large format. Hopefully we'll have a core of people interested and with a supply of working LF cameras, people won't have to buy a camera, just vicariously share.

More than several cameras and one has to wonder whether one is really justifying one's behavior or become a junkie!

For me, the 5D and 1DII does about everything I need, but I keep needing more. The M8 is an example. Nothing brings it's quiet intimacy except perhaps a quiter M6 film caqmera!

For larger work I use the Bronica SQ film camera. Oh yes my 2 4x5 cameras which I'm bringing back to use.

However, the truth is I really use one camera, the 5D and one lens usually a whole month's time or more unless forced otherwise by the job!

Asher

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
I'm currently using two Canon 5D's at present having sold my very last film SLR (an Elan II that I shot many a wedding with!).

I will probably be adding a Pentax K10D with a couple of pancakes to the mix for street work assuming they iron out the 21mm focusing problems.

I would kill for a Mamiya AFDII with a P25+ back and a couple of primes, I loved using my 645 Pro with the 45mm, 80mm and 210mm back in the film days. Really nice rendition with beautiful B&W's and great landscape work. Could never afford it though..

Alain Briot

pro member
I use a 1DsMk2 and a Linhof MT 4x5. That's all I need. One camera would be enough, but there are no practical digital solutions to equal the resolution of 4x5 scanned film right now for landscape photography. When that becomes available, which may be as soon as the Seitz digital back becomes available for cameras other than the Seitz panoramic, then I may carry only one camera.

In general, I recommend carrying no more than 2 cameras for any given shoot. The more cameras you carry, the less you use each of them and the more time you spend deciding which camera you are going to use. Of course, the kind of cameras you use can be different for different types of assignments. But carrying more than 2 at any given time is counterproductive in my experience.

Asher Kelman

I use a 1DsMk2 and a Linhof MT 4x5. That's all I need. One camera would be enough, but there are no practical digital solutions to equal the resolution of 4x5 scanned film right now for landscape photography. When that becomes available, which may be as soon as the Seitz digital back becomes available for cameras other than the Seitz panoramic, then I may carry only one camera.

In general, I recommend carrying no more than 2 cameras for any given shoot. The more cameras you carry, the less you use each of them and the more time you spend deciding which camera you are going to use. Of course, the kind of cameras you use can be different for different types of assignments. But carrying more than 2 at any given time is counterproductive in my experience.

Hi Alain,

What about your digital Rebel? I still remember those Paris pictures. That camera is a light-delight!

The 1DsII I understand but the Seitz is a scanning back so even though that's fast it is going to be a whole new esthetic. Water gets dragged to a new look and of course if an animal moves you may get a very long moose!

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Hi Asher,

The Rebel was replaced by the 1DsMk2 a couple of years ago.

The Seitz is a scanning back with exposure times shorter than film. Very different in this regard than the Better Light digital back. It will be available for the Alpa medium format camera first, hopefully in a few months. Cutting edge at this point.

Alpa:
http://www.alpa.ch/index.php

Seitz:
http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/intro.cfm

There is no direct connection between these two companies on their respective sites, but the work is in progress behind the scenes.

Asher Kelman

Yes, Alain, the 1DsII is a great upgrade, but not exactly subtle!

What do you use for that?

The Seitz does have fast shutter speeds, so you are correct in correcting me!

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Yes, Alain, the 1DsII is a great upgrade, but not exactly subtle!
What do you use for that?
Asher

You mean for discrete shooting? A Leica M8. But most of my work is done in wilderness locations where the size of the camera is only an issue insofar as it is heavy, and then 4x5 and 1DsMk2 weight pretty much the same.

Mark Coons

OK let's see if can remember the progression.

I was never a film shooter, started with digital using a Sony Mavica FD-88 (which my mother still uses!).

I went from there to a Kodak DC290, took great shots outside and horrible inside.

Next was the Canon G3, not a bad camera. My daughter still uses it.

Then the Canon Powershot S1 IS. Now used by my son.

Next I graduated to DSLR's with a Canon Rebel XT (350D).

I then got the Canon Powershot S2 IS with the plan to use it as my second camera to the XT. But it is a very poor performer in low light (AF hunts) so had to scrap that idea. The wife now uses this camera.

So I got my current camera the Canon Rebel XTi (400D) and the XT is now the second camera. I have no more relatives that need cameras so I can't buy another one!!!

Wow, I feel so inadequate...:) I only have two cameras currently. A D70 and a K100d. The primary feature for me is portability. I don't drive so anything I have has to fit easily into a daypack. I mostly use it for reference for my paintings anyway.

Michelle Jones

Yikes! And me with my mesley Canon EOS Digital Rebel, Nikon 995, and a Pansonic, DMC-LZ1! LOL I used to have a Nikon 35 mm film camera set up.....but sold it years ago to pay the rent! hahaha
Michelle

Jeff Donovan

Right now I own three after having given away a 4mp Kodak point and shoot to a friend who needed one.

Main one is my Lumix FZ-30. I also carry a Canon A540 for my point and shoot and my wife has an HP R927 that is her main camera.

Probably within the next few years I'll jump up to a D-SLR but I wanted to learn more about photography before jumping into something that expensive.