• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Good lens for shooting a dance recital

RoyVarley

I use a 70-200 F2.8, Manual mode, spot metering, expose for highlights (+2 stops or thereabouts - you develop an eye for this over time), ISO 3200 mostly. I've also used an 85mm with great results but I miss the zoom - I find a single focal length can be restrictive, unless it's a dress rehearsal and you can move around a lot.

Examples: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29833934@N06/2868753609/in/set-72157607368795059/

As Asher has said, a dedicated photo shoot is great if you can organize it Choreographers tend to be precious about the mood they are trying to create with their lighting ( and rightly so) except that, for me, in recent times their mood seems to be particularly dark!!

Rachel Foster

Thanks, Roy. I shoot these twice a year, so December is another opportunity. I showed the dance studio's manager a few shots and she's pretty enthusiastic. They've used shots from last December's recital on their website as well.