• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

RAW RSP & jpg

Brian Lowe

I asked this question on the Pixmantec from I'll ask over here too....:confused:

I hope I make sense with my question, here it goes.

If you shoot RAW and use RSP to extract the jpg using fastproofs how is that jpg processed?

Where I am going with this is, I have a 1DMKIIn and lets I shoot raw and have the picture styles set to "landscape". Are the landscape picture styles applied (sharpening, color sat, contrast, blah, blah) to the jpg when extracted from the RAW file when doing fastproofs?

Thanks,

Brian :cool:

Diane Fields

Brian Lowe said:
I asked this question on the Pixmantec from I'll ask over here too....:confused:

I hope I make sense with my question, here it goes.

If you shoot RAW and use RSP to extract the jpg using fastproofs how is that jpg processed?

Where I am going with this is, I have a 1DMKIIn and lets I shoot raw and have the picture styles set to "landscape". Are the landscape picture styles applied (sharpening, color sat, contrast, blah, blah) to the jpg when extracted from the RAW file when doing fastproofs?

Thanks,

Brian :cool:

Brian, from the RSP guide--it says that the proofs will be made with the current state of the RAW image--so suggests you make any color corrections. I wasn't absolutely positive about this so wanted to check before I typed anything. In my experience, I have used proofs for quick attachments, for selection by clients--and was pretty sure they reflected my corrections. So--to answer your question--then no, none of the 'in camera' settings are applied. It appears that, where C1 will extract the jpeg, RSP does not do that (hope Michael T. will correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand it)--it creates a proof from your RAW--in whatever 'state' it is in--either with no corrections or with those you've done for exposure, WB, color, etc.

Further, you can do a quick batch for larger jpegs (the proofs are quite small--you can set the parameters-- but fine for monitor viewing). See page 19 in the User Guide.

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
Diane,

Almost right :>)

1 - Both varieties of FastProof process using the current image settings within RSP.

2 - Both can go up to sizes up to 50% of the native RAW size, so these can be quite large for today's cameras.

3 - FastProofHQ is very hi-quality and very fast. Quality is just short of the full conversion.

4 - FastProof (Non-HQ) is really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really fast. On my new AMD 64 X@ dual, I ran 8 mixed Canon files (1DMkII, 20D, 1DsMkII, 5D) in 4 seconds. Now that is a fast conversion. I think the HQ was about 16 seconds, still VERY fast.

5 - For either FP you can over ride the conversion and extract the embedded JPEG, which is not process by RSP, but is a camera processed pic that was made by the camera the same as a camera JPEG would have been. In fact it is a camera JPEG, just stored inside the RAW file..

HTH...

Diane Fields

Michael Tapes said:
Diane,

1 - Both varieties of FastProof process using the current image settings within RSP.

2 - Both can go up to sizes up to 50% of the native RAW size, so these can be quite large for today's cameras.

3 - FastProofHQ is very hi-quality and very fast. Quality is just short of the full conversion.

4 - FastProof (Non-HQ) is really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really fast. On my new AMD 64 X@ dual, I ran 8 mixed Canon files (1DMkII, 20D, 1DsMkII, 5D) in 4 seconds. Now that is a fast conversion. I think the HQ was about 16 seconds, still VERY fast.

5 - For either FP you can over ride the conversion and extract the embedded JPEG, which is not process by RSP, but is a camera processed pic that was made by the camera the same as a camera JPEG would have been. In fact it is a camera JPEG, just stored inside the RAW file..

HTH...

Well, I surely agree on 3 and 4 from experience--and can't believe I missed seeing the option for extracting a jpeg if embedded LOL. Just goes to show, one should read ALL the fine print in a dialog box. But I knew Michael was here to correct me--and I learned something I missed--what we all are here for.

Brian Lowe

Michael Tapes said:
Diane,

HTH...
Micheal how fast is fast proof again? :D

OK #5 above when you extract the embedded JPEG.
What is the camera processed pic?

What I am trying to find out is, if you have a picture style set in the camera menu will that picture style be applied to the in camera processed (extracted from RAW) JPEG when using fast proof? :confused:

Brian

RSP has a setting which lets you override making previews of the raw files in the directory that you are currently pointing to when you start the program. This provides a fast start on RSP itself. The result is that the embedded JPEGs (which would have the camera menu picture style applied) are used as previews. But are they what is then printed out using fastproof? I think it is easiest to do the experiment.

scott

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
Yes, the embedded JPEG and the preview that is based on it, are based on whatever camera settings were active at the time of shooting, including of course the Picture Style, etc.

BTW...it turns out that my fastest Windows Machine is not my new AMD 64 X2 Dual 4400+ using FW800 drives. It is my MacBook Pro 17". it is even faster than the tower. I will publish benchmarks in the RAW forum with a link from the Windows on Mac forum. How fast...about 2.5 seconds for the 8 files which included 2 1DsMkII, 2 5D, 3 1DMkII, 1 10D.

Brian Lowe

Thank you Micheal

Thank you Micheal for the confirmation on what I was hoping to hear this makes life much easier I'll shoot RAW from now on and use RSP for fast proofing JPGS.

I am going to hold out for the quad cores chips before I upgrade my computer system it never stops.......

Thanks for the information,

Brian

Michael Tapes said:
Yes, the embedded JPEG and the preview that is based on it, are based on whatever camera settings were active at the time of shooting, including of course the Picture Style, etc.

BTW...it turns out that my fastest Windows Machine is not my new AMD 64 X2 Dual 4400+ using FW800 drives. It is my MacBook Pro 17". it is even faster than the tower. I will publish benchmarks in the RAW forum with a link from the Windows on Mac forum. How fast...about 2.5 seconds for the 8 files which included 2 1DsMkII, 2 5D, 3 1DMkII, 1 10D.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Brian, let me know how you set up for Windows? Have you tested using Soft windows and the Microsoft's virtual PC for Mac. Perhaps start with this before your review, in the Mac forum with cross-links

I for one would love to know. Check out the explanations for meta.editorials and maybe you would submit it for that special category.

Asher