• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gear and Gadgets: Questions on choice of the tool for the job and the lke! love my Canon new gear

Just got my 5D2 and 2 (two) lenses and could not be happier.

57972_417177937083_668172083_4937244_7382527_n.jpg

59267_417126892083_668172083_4936264_129778_n.jpg

46889_417179587083_668172083_4937257_6082185_n.jpg
[/CENTER]

I have a 25mm f 2.8 that can be fitted with a small foot print polarizer, it is sooo small compare to the old zoom wide angle lenses I used to have that it is almost never there. And you know what... I think that zoom is one thing I do no miss in wide angle photography ... at all.

The other one is a zoom, but it is NOT an image stabilization lens, but it is an L lens.

70-200 f 4 Incredibly good choice of a lens --except that it is a bit of a conspicuous lens--

I want to post some more images, so I will cut this in to two first posts...

46747_417130597083_668172083_4936281_2060148_n.jpg

Images are consistently sharp even with no IS, and the camera/lens work as a charm.

47529_417182722083_668172083_4937326_735653_n.jpg

The usability of the 70-200 is just endless, especially with good light conditions. I would probably want to have a 100 f/2 as an assault lens

59331_417209527083_668172083_4937753_8236877_n.jpg

The 24mm 2.8, on the other hand is a solid little lens that has no moving external parts --including the focus ring when in AF mode--. Compact, unobtrusive sharp. My only complaint is the small barrel distortion... I wanted NO barrel distortion...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
57972_417177937083_668172083_4937244_7382527_n.jpg

Leo,

I'd love to see your work on the sky here. This is a picture worth investing in! That lady has such energy going against the way progress is made, LOL!

Asher​

Asher Kelman

46889_417179587083_668172083_4937257_6082185_n.jpg

Leo,

for sure it's not honest, but so be it! I'd like to see this picture without the person in the b.g. It's a strong idea with him bent like that on a mission.

Asher

Last edited:
Asher, thank you for your comments, I think that the od composition makes the image more interesting, and the fact that you can't really see their faces. Are they hiding from the photographer or just cold and preoccupied to figure out how they are going to find the means to bring food to their tables on that day... I will check on my files, I think that I may have two more shots of him, after all the 5D2 comes equipped with a "MotorDrive" he he

Asher Kelman

Asher, thank you for your comments, I think that the od composition makes the image more interesting, and the fact that you can't really see their faces. Are they hiding from the photographer or just cold and preoccupied to figure out how they are going to find the means to bring food to their tables on that day... I will check on my files, I think that I may have two more shots of him, after all the 5D2 comes equipped with a "MotorDrive" he he

The 5DII is one remarkable camera, but I must admit, so is the 5D. I still use it and for folks pnchng on budget, that still a great choice. I doubt that n most cases one would notice the difference as long as the light is reasonable.

Those hats are always fascinating. Where did the custom come of the women wearing mens hats of the 1940's? How come they have a hat under the hat. Is it the wind?

Asher

I will answer the hat question first. In Bolivia it is the Borsalino, an italian well known hat brand --I have the male equivalent legitimate fake Borsalino-- and the idea is, according to my informal poll among aymara women, to look smart and denote economic well being. There is a theory that the name Borsalino comes from Bolsa that in latin means purse,--like the term bursatil -- because it was the stock brocker's hat of choice. This is a very informal society and contraband is a big part of it, so, even if there is much poverty, there is also a lot of money to be made and in the annual hollyday parade of El Gran Poder, or the Christ of The Grate Power, aymara women were extremely expensive (scarfs of $2k) costumes an julery.

Men use two hats I guess, to cover from cold --and because it is the Inca tradition-- and for the very strong sun...

Now, regarding the D52. The camera is about same as D300 superficiality and I would risk to say that a bit inferior in terms of finish and in arrangement of controls from the Nikon. I will give you some examples.

-No plastic cover for the LCD. /LCD is generous, but very prone to getting full of oil from face and when the camera has a heavy lens like the 70-200 f/4 L, and one is walking around Inca ruins, there is the fear of hitting the front of it against a pointy rock. Nikon D300 felt much better with the plastic protector. At Adorama they told me there is no cover offered by Canon... : ( --I did put in a sticky hard solution that will protect somehow the LCD--

-- Annoying despondence of images when I want to review images.
Suppose you want to check on an image, you push the No4 button on the left (the one on top of trash) and an image appears then you want to move back to see other, or zoom and the LCD goes black.

-- Zoom scroll "mouse" is very slow and difficult to use

-- P/TV/AV/M/B etc dial move by itself ! This cannot happen on a D300 since you need to push a dial and move a lever to set it something that takes a bit more effort, but is more secure.

-- Compensating -,+ for AE is also a bit more complicated on the 5D2 than D300 and I think that the D300 is a better system

--- Switching the camera ON/OFF is better on the Nikon. The good thing is that the Canon seams ok if left permanetly ON

--- Deleting images is much easier on the Nikon since you only have to push the same button twice and in Canon you have to go from one to another. (it may be safer that way, but I prefer speed)

--- Much better on the CANON is the way bayonet system with the easier-to-see red dot exactly on top and the way the entire mechanism seams to work.

--- Shooting tethered is a fantastic feature of the 5D2 and I don't think Nikon has something like it but I may be wrong since I did not owned the D300s..

All of this is anecdotal information and does not refer to IQ or AF etc.

Asher Kelman

Leonardobarreto.com said:
The 24mm 2.8, on the other hand is a solid little lens that has no moving external parts --including the focus ring when in AF mode--. Compact, unobtrusive sharp. My only complaint is the small barrel distortion... I wanted NO barrel distortion...

The 28mm is worthy! Did you correct the distortion? It's not too evident. Today, most convertors should correct for that routinely.

59331_417209527083_668172083_4937753_8236877_n.jpg

Yes, Leonardo,

The scene looks so green! You have chosen a great ime with good light. It could be of a castle on coastal Britain! However, the British scene wouldn't have the terraces sculpted in the hillside. I can imagine taking a series of images for a pano here. splendid view.

Is it manicured or wild, that grass? This looks like a great location for shooting locals or models.

Asher

I don't know if you want to shoot models at a sacred place, It would be similar to doing so at the Vatican...

I got a bit of vignetting but it was my fault since I put the polarize filter on top of the UV... I am just beginning to edit the images, and I have not applied any barrel distortion, but I think I can do that with Capture 1PRO. I don't think that it is a big problem with this images.

What I did and I think is work in progress is that I shot a series of exposures at different shutter speeds and I could in principle do a High Dinamic Range final image. This is easier said than done, and I made an automatic test with Photoshop that ended up as attractive as Frankenstein's girlfriend ... I also made some sort of panoramic images that I can try to add in to a wider view..

But my conclusion regarding the 24mm is that I don't miss having a zoom wide lens in terms of IQ, portability, and practicality. When you take it out of the bayonet it can go in to a vest pocket !

Asher Kelman

I don't know if you want to shoot models at a sacred place, It would be similar to doing so at the Vatican...

If I could, without offending folk, I sure would!

I got a bit of vignetting but it was my fault since I put the polarize filter on top of the UV... I am just beginning to edit the images, and I have not applied any barrel distortion, but I think I can do that with Capture 1PRO. I don't think that it is a big problem with this images.

What I did and I think is work in progress is that I shot a series of exposures at different shutter speeds and I could in principle do a High Dinamic Range final image. This is easier said than done, and I made an automatic test with Photoshop that ended up as attractive as Frankenstein's girlfriend ...

That's funny! Remember, even Frankenstein's monster couldn't see in the dark!

Asher

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi Leo,

Thanks for posting these images and your thoughts on equipment. Have just upgraded my trusty 20D to a 5D MkII and am enjoying both the leap in detail and the DoF flexibility of full frame. I'm currently using the 24-105 and a sigma 70-300.

Next on my list is either a wide-angle zoom or wide angle prime and then a better telephoto. The 70-200 f4 is obviously a great lens, but do you find yourself feeling constrained at the longer end (especially with full-frame)? If and when budgets allow can't decide weather to go for this or the 100-400mm.

Regards,

Mike Shimwell

Andy

I have a 1Ds3, so similar sensor to the 5D2. Unless you have need of the long end of the 100-400 I'd go for the 70-200/4. The 100-400 is much bigger and heavier to carry and is a push pull design that's more awkward to use. You can crop a 5D2 file to 20D size and have the equivalent of 320mm anyway, so you'd be no worse than at present.

OTOH, if you shoot a lot of telephoto it might be ideal for you.

The 24-105 is OK and very very convenient on the 21Mp bodies - but I find it needs f8 to show it's best and even then the extreme corners may be soft. The 70-200/4 IS is truly excellent.

Have you thought about a humble 50/1.4 as a walkaround lens?

Mike

Andrew Stannard

pro member
HI MIke,

Thanks for your thoughts - will have to start looking at the bank accounts! I guess I could always get a 1.5x teleconvertor to go with the 70-200 i did want a bit more reach.

Am finding the range of the 25-105 great as a walkabout lens, although sometimes wishing a little wider for landscapes - had the 10-22mm on the 20d. Like you say, can be a little soft in the corners even at f8. I have my old 50mm 1.8 as well - not as well engineered as the 1.4, but so light to keep in the bag!

I think that 200mm on a full frame sensor camera is very usable, the lens is compact compared to the f2.8 and the IQ is very good, I did not find the f/4 to bee too slow since ISO 200 is a normal speed for this cameras. I love the fact that the lens is solid and has no exterior moving parts, -including filter-.

The difficult question for me to decide when I got it was if to go IS or NO IS. As you can see, the price goes from about $600 to $1200, exactly double...

Since I was not in the market for a $1k lens, I went the NO IS way and no regrets so far, of course I do not have the IS lens to make an educated comparison eider.

The lens can be store in my super small camera back pack, alongside the 5D2 and 24mm f/2.8 +film (just kidding)

Wen I sold my D300 and lenses I had adopted a personal "dogma" that had in its credo never to go 28mm-300mm purely for puristic principle.

The down side is having to change lenses when going from wide to tele, and I understand the convenience of having all objectives at the touch of a dial, but do we? The super zoom offer you a very wide end and and tele, son in terms of numbers we do get all bases cover, but...

The question is: are all angles cover at the highest IQ?

Even if modern super zooms have fantastic performance, I don't think they out perform a prime 25mm f 2.8 or a 70-200 L .

In other words: We can't have everything at once, we have to compromise one way or another.

Asher Kelman

Leonardo,

Have you purchased the 70-200 f4.0 yet and do they have big import duties if you get it from the States?

Asher

Leonardo,

Have you purchased the 70-200 f4.0 yet and do they have big import duties if you get it from the States?

Asher

I dig get it at ADORAMA used, but as good as new. Receiving anything via mail here in Bolivia is not practical, what I do is that I buy when I travel to NY. The camera I purchased from Newegg.com --first time shopping from them and a good experience-- [just because I am am cheap and wanted to avoid NY salestaxes].

The 25mm I also got from Adorama, from my favorite salesman Efraim Nussbaum, [somehow he knows when I say good things about him on line and tells me so...]

Before getting to NY, I got the tripod collar ring from China for $12 on eBay, and it came, works very well and is good to have.

As a matter of fact, I attached a climbers clip on it and so I can hang it in different ways from different places including with the camera attached... this will probably deserve a photo illustration ...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs640.snc4
/60044_420309012083_668172083_5005420_3426511_n.jpg

62509_420308992083_668172083_5005419_2106111_n.jpg

62559_420309047083_668172083_5005421_5602605_n.jpg

ViewImage.aspx

One more image...

60044_420309012083_668172083_5005420_3426511_n.jpg

There are a few advantages of having this aluminum carabiner attached to the COLLAR RING of the lens.

-The center of gravity
-Adjust the camera to lay portrait position while hanging
-Lens can hang while you take body away to use with lens No2 (24mm f/2.8)\
-Quickly retrieve lens from small back pack by puling aluminum carabiner

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

One more image...

60044_420309012083_668172083_5005420_3426511_n.jpg

There are a few advantages of having this aluminum carabiner attached to the COLLAR RING of the lens.

-The center of gravity
-Adjust the camera to lay portrait position while hanging
-Lens can hang while you take body away to use with lens No2 (24mm f/2.8)\
-Quickly retrieve lens from small back pack by puling aluminum carabiner

I had a job photographing an orchestra visiting the white house and used a carabiner like that in my kit! Unfortunately, there was a strike of staff and Hilary felt it would be bad to proceed so the orchestra played at the airport instead!!! I hated her so much that day!! I'd forgotten about the entire incident until I saw your new lens, hanging like that from the carabiner, LOL!

Asher

I just love this mountain climbing clips and keep finding new uses for them ... adapting it to the lens collar ring was very easy since I have a Arca Swiss compatible clip that I used to compress the small piece of strap. This is reversible and also lets me mount the lens on my tripod.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Tripod Mounting Ring

The Tripod ring comes with the lens. Good idea with the carabiner.

I have both the 70-200 2.8is and the 70-200 4.0 non is. The weight difference is substantial. I got the 4.0 in trade for an unused light. I don't find my copy as sharp as the 2.8is but it is a wonderful lens on full frame.