• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Boot Camp 1.1.2 out now

Paul Caldwell

Apple released 1.1.2 of Boot Camp on Wednesday.

Fixes mainly aimed at the keyboard and mouse along with the USB modem.

I don't have the USB modem, so I can't talk to that.

On the mouse, they added true right click and scrolling support.
Net, yes both are there now, but the mouse pointer now has issues, stability.

The mouse seems to have better overall control especially for fine selections, but it will start to act up over time. Seemingly gets confused as to whether it's scrolling or moving across the screen. So far I have gotten control back by clicking a few times or by running my finger around the entire trackpad. This issue didn't exist with the older 1.1.1 set of drivers.

I still get a reboot issue when I execute the "brightness.exe". This is required to control the brightness of the LCD or you will stay at full brightness. Brightness exe by default will run as XP is painting the desktop. ABout 50% of the time, my machine just reboots and then comes up with no video. I took it out of startup by using a tool called Absolute Startup, (excellent software BTW). This allows me to come up clean about 80% of the time. However when I manually launch the brightness.exe about 50% of the time my machine will reboot and come up without video. When you hold the power button down to kill this reboot, the machine will come up on the screen asking if you want to boot up in safe mode.

NET to me the enviornment is not stable and more than likely I will be selling the machine.

Paul C.

Paul Caldwell

macbookpro

Asher,

it's t a17" macbook Pro, matte screen. (Another issue I still have with Apple).

I haven't given parrallels much thought as my primary platform is XP. All my software is XP based and I don't have the resources to cover double licences on everything.

I love the hard ware platform of the 17" MacbookPro, size to weight ratio. Still feel personally it's the best designed 17" machine out there. I had hoped that with boot camp I would have a much more stable load than I have gotten for XP. It's also apparent to me that Apple is only doing the basics to get a XP enviornment up (and I can understand that as they sell an OS also).

From what I have read parrallels is similar to Virtual PC, but much better, still I don't feel that you will get the best performance since you are still running Mac in the background and it's got to have some memory and processor to do that.

Paul C.

Stan Jirman

Well I am not really surprised that Apple isn't putting as much effort into supporting XP as supporting their own OS. I don't think this should come as a surprise - after all, Boot Camp is officially labeled Beta, handed out for free, "as is". Kinda like Lightroom if I may make that comparison :)

Since I got Parallels working on my MacPro with 6GB RAM (which was the problem), I haven't booted to XP once. I understand that you are in a different boat, that all you want is XP, but then I am not sure that buying hardware from a manufacturer that directly competes with what you are trying to do is the way to go. After all, they made no promises about fitment or compatibility. I am sure it will get there eventually, but it's not there yet. Until then you'll be probably best served with filing a bug and hoping for an update. Or start using the native OS...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Paul,

What makes you not use the Mac OS? Is it that you have XP specific software for which there's no Mac version or is it that you just don't wish to re-purchase perfectly good software just to switch to the Mac versions?

BTW, if you wanted to sell it, no doubt it would fly away immediately. you can post on this site. However, it would be sad if you can't keep it!

Asher

Paul Caldwell

Thanks Asher and Stan.

To Asher, on Mac vs XP it's simple to me. My entire setup is windows based and I don't really want to swtich. I tried it couple of years ago, however I never could get my color management to work. I know that sounds surprising as mac is supposed to be so easy with colorsync. I am sure it came from over 20 years of working with Wintel machines. Basically I understand them better and have come to understand their workings. Plus as you mention, now the software costs really make it impossible on a limited budget. In the old days of 3 or so years ago, you could most times buy a plug in or action that had both a mac and win version, now you have to buy both. Not to mention the costing of CS2 and like programs.

Stan.

I hear what you are saying, I just don't agree. We can agree to disagee. Net to me, Apple has made a ton of press about how they can run XP better than Windows on Intel. Yet over and over they have left simple and basic issue out. You mention that boot camp is a beta, sure it is but eventually it will come under their support umbrella when the Next big cat OS is released.

Simple example. I have felt that from the get go on my MacBookpro that when in XP, even the basic power management is not working. You could never hear the fans and sometimes I felt that they were not working. Thus when in XP, the machine could be counted on to run 20 to 30 degree C hotter. I have seen all the issues on the thermal paste but they IMO should have effected me under Mac or Win, however my heat was under XP.

On the OnMac forums. an person working on their own accord has come out with a free shareware driver and instructions on how to use it. This fixes the fan issue, note that when you first run the tool, your fans are on the lowest setting. His software lets you easily set the fan speed and literally you can watch the heat on the mainboard drop. Another one is the keyboard ambient lighting issue. I know that's not critical but IMO it's one of the most impressive desgn features of the machine and if you work at all in low lighting you will know just how nice it is to see the keys. Apple has yet to even address this and there are at least 2 free ware fixes out that work.

There is no right or wrong answer, it's like politics everyone has a side.

I still feel that this 17" is the best designed machine I have ever used, that that's taking into account a lot of Windows based machines and for now I am going to keep using it for both environments. I do however hope that Apple will make some more professional fixes.

Thanks to both.

Paul Caldwell

Stan Jirman

Paul Caldwell said:
I do however hope that Apple will make some more professional fixes.
Yes, when the next big cat comes out, as you said. Until then, well... it's a beta :)

I am not trying to convert you, or anyone. I actually don't give a damn what people use, as long as it works for them. I knew that I would be living on the bleeding edge of things when I got a TiVo Series 3 recorder, and like you I hope that they will soon give us an update that actually works. While frustrating, I can't say I am surprised. If you are then your expectations were wrong.

And yes, we can agree to disagree. I don't even have the right to vote :)