• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Leica S... it looks future promising!

They had that bright idea to make a smaller sensor and make it 3:2 aspect ratio...This means (since the mount is much nearer to the sensor) that...:

1. Every other MF lens of any maker is compatible to the mount (as long as there is an adapter for it...)
2. They can provide a (digital) future to all MF owners of the past...

Obviously Leica's choice to use a 45x30mm sensor was not made without a thought... They had the future developments in mind when they decided the unique aspect ratio they use... So, they made the camera only slightly bigger than a common FF Dslr to make it familiar with even Dslr users that never considered MF before... They also made it compatible with both focal plane and leaf shutters... Then, they made an adapter for Hasselblad H lenses http://www.s.leica-camera.com/en/Ne...BLES-THE-USE-OF-HASSELBLAD-H-LENSES-ON-THE-S2 this means that using the V to S adapter for the H system would make the V lenses also compatible... Then Metabones made three cheap adapters http://www.metabones.com/product/leica-s/m645-ls-bm1-detail (for Mamiya 645, Pentax 6x7 and Hasselblad V - all stop down metering and MF) that could provide a step for other (now discontinued systems) to Leica S... Now Leica introduced a new adapter for Contax 645 lenses http://s.leica-camera.com/en/News/NEW-LEICA-S-ADAPTER-C-ENABLES-THE-USE-OF-CONTAX-645-LENSES !!! Note that all Leica adapters are fully dedicated compatible with Hass H and C645 for all that the lens can do with the original makers camera (AF, leaf shutter, auto aperture etc..).
The rumor is (actually is more than a rumor) that next in line is a Rollei 6xxx & HY6 adapter with full lens functioning capabilities when mount on a Leica S...
I guess that it won't be long before we see an adapter for Bronica (perhaps 3 adapters? - ETRsi, SQAi and GS compatible?) and a dedicated one for M645/P1 and possibly Pentax 645 too (another for MamRZ would make RB lenses also compatible)...
Given that the price of the camera is not more than an MFDB of similar specification and a new camera body from competition... this may well be that competition has "heavy weather" to deal with in the future... In fact the only (but very important) advantage that an MFDB has, is the compatibility with View and tech cameras.... Does anybody know if the 1.5x shift tilt converter of the Hass H will also work if fitted on a Leica S with the H adapter on it?

P.S. I guess a smart small company (sinar? - linhof?) would benefit if they would provide a portable bellows with full movements that would have Leica S mount in one end and all the above (perhaps Rollei SL66 too?) in the other... such a bellows should provide infinity focus ability ...no?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's true, Theodoros that Leica engineers and marketing are smart. However, Pentax with the 645D for $10,000 with a lens provides 40 MP that likely as not, stand shoulder to shoulder with the Leica in usability, as Pentax has the longer time advantage of making DSLRs', all in house.

The camera is now several years old and rumors point to a newer version which would probably maintain the same price advantage. Unless one is going for the lighter weight of the Leica system, Pentax will be a formidable competitor. The issue for them is that major online fora seem to be hooked in to Phase One with seminars, workshops and expeditions.

Asher

It's true, Theodorus that Leica engineers and marketing are smart. However, Pentax with the 645D for $10,000 with a lens provides 40 MP that likely as not, stand shoulder to shoulder with the Leica in usability, as Pentax has the longer time advantage of making DSLRs', all in house.

The camera is now several years old and rumors point to a newer version which would probably maintain the same price advantage. Unless one is going for the lighter weight of the Leica system, Pentax will be a formidable competitor. The issue for them is that major online fora seem to be hooked in to Phase One with seminars, workshops and expeditions.

Asher
Hi Asher,

Ok... but more than the cost, Pentax doesn't cary the Leica name of prestige, it doesn't offer Leica's quality of glass, it can't sync as high as Leica can due to the lack of leaf shutter and ...it cannot take all this (super quality) glass that photographers have invested a fortune for years... Neither they can make such adapters!

You see, even if they implement electronic leaf shutter control ability in the camera body, the mount is far more distant from the sensor due to the much larger mirror box since it is a 4:3 aspect ratio camera (which means the mirror is much longer towards the mount), also the mount is the same as the Pentax 645 film camera (i.e the image circle is able to serve a 56x42mm image)... compare that with 30mm image height, it's 12mm less!!

Look at my case for instance... I have three Contax 645 bodies and 10 lenses (all but the 350 & 2 via an adapter), the Leica S system has sold so much, (they claim 20% of the MF market and rising) that there now cameras available in mint condition at the S/H market for 10000... I could sell all my Contax bodies and MFDB and get a Leica, yet keeping all my glass.... I can't do that with a Pentax ...can I?

Think of all those people that have invested large amounts for their Schneider & Zeiss glass on the Rollei 6008/HY6 system... Won't it be a relief for them when the Leica S/Rollei adapter appears? I tell you if it wasn't for the multishot capability of my back which is absolutely essential for what I do, I would have done the move already! Heck, it would be "bye-bye" for the D800E too, with the size and flexibility that the Leica offers!

Jerome Marot

I would think that people buying a Leica S would do so for the possibility to mount on it the finest glass on the planet that is exclusive to that camera, but that may be just me.

I would think that people buying a Leica S would do so for the possibility to mount on it the finest glass on the planet that is exclusive to that camera, but that may be just me.
Hi Jerome,
That too... but don't forget, that people can hold on what they have with still great performance! OTOH, Leica's image area is perfect to improve the performance of some of the extra glass since it throughs out only a small part of the lenses image circle, but exactly the part that one would criticise in some cases... (i.e. the edge performance of my 80mm at f2 & 2.8 or my 45mm at f2.8 and f4) ....OTOH, I don't think I would ever change my 120Apo micro or my 35mm no matter how much better the Leitz would be... they are more than anyone would require anyway... Another thing is, that tradition states that Leitz glass was never as good as Zeiss in backlight or flare resistance, this to some (me among them) is priceless... You can shoot into the sun with all my Zeiss glass Jerome... Honest you can and there won't be any significant contrast loss on the image!