• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

An old photo that I dig back

I rediscovered it....

It has been edited with levels (increasing the blacks and the contrast, the highlights were already there) and the tint...I found a sort of Blair Witch project atmosphere...

Taken in IR but don't remember the film (probably Kodak?) with a Nikon FA.
The vignetting was there but I don't know what burnt the film...

foret-IR-2003-3.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Sandrine,

It does indeed invite one in to a mystery. The vignetting, though harsh would have been added for sure by my late father-in-law, a great photographer who lived a good part of his life breathing the chemicals in the darkroom. The slanted trees show the presence of a great force. The path for us to travel is just discernible; perfect to explore, but full of weighted risk.

What a great find. What others do folk have they have forgotten in shoe boxes and yellowing envelopes?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

I like that one - it has something special to it, esp. the leaning trees, the sun and the vignette which makes it all very special to me.

Thanks you!
I wondered if I have to show the other of the same series, It might have been my first attempt in Infra red photography as It's pretty weird...

I have no discipline with kids. They always pull faces, even in the middle of the woods. Nobody's afraid of the big bad wolf.

These are not cropped, just a basic level adjustment.
According to the date (2003) I may have taken them with the F801s. Maybe the vignetting is due to the view-count sensor, I don't know.

annaick-IR-2003.jpg

foret-IR-2003-3-1.jpg

Dr Klaus Schmitt

The 2nd one works very well for me, especially that water adds to it and teh very visible grain of that film. Did you push-develop it?

Honestly I don't remember. I don't think so, I wouldn't have done a push at first try. What I remember I that I had trouble to insert it in the metallic reel, the film was curling a lot.

is it possible to do some IR with digital? Are there any sensors (sold for the public I mean) that are sensible to IR? just asking, I've done no search yet...

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Honestly I don't remember. I don't think so, I wouldn't have done a push at first try. What I remember I that I had trouble to insert it in the metallic reel, the film was curling a lot.

is it possible to do some IR with digital? Are there any sensors (sold for the public I mean) that are sensible to IR? just asking, I've done no search yet...

Sure, there are quite a few DSLRs that are able to do that very well. Most of them need the internal filter replaced by a dedicated IR filter, but other than that it is quite easy to use! Here is quite a comprehensive overview.

Thank you for the info, I will try to process the facts in my brain. I wish I was a maths person. But everything comes with photography. I was helpless with all things scientific, and discovered myself an interest for chemistry when I came to the laboratory, writing formulas as a second language. Now I forgot all this, lacking practice. For some people it comes like a gift or the work of genes, for some others, it's a permanent fight.

I think it was at a time when I finished a session in the "Toulouse photo club" where I learned gum bichromate. Maybe it had an impact on me? I don't know. I used this technique a while to make more "contemporary photos" like some series I made to depict the industrial parks around Toulouse, with their power plants, houses that looks the same, old warehouses etc... But not for "pictorialist" style. The grain and blur style may have affected me :).

But what I do love is that in IR you loose the right perspective and depth in the image (That shows how much shades of grey and/or colour, contribute to the 3D sensation)

I wish I could make an image like this one (I think is lewis Hine) with the IR...

Hine-00075s.jpg

PS: Maybe I just got it wrong with the developpement times. There is indeed too much grain.

Loose perspective? I guess not really...have a look at my colleagues digital IR work here
Bloody hell! That's erasing all the clichés I had about Infra Red!
What beautiful images! And indeed these perspectives are not lost :)
There was probably something wrong with my films and my developpements...
But as I said it was my first try probably, I made 1 or 2 others a bit disappointing, I resigned probably due to the prices of the films... I am not against making some others shots (once I'll have a DSLR, of course).
Again thanks Mr Smith and Cedric for all the comments, all for the links (instructive indeed).

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Sandrine,

IR is just light. It behaves in much the same way as visible light but just has a longer wavelength and also shines from living or warm objects. Solid objects block the light as with shorter wavelengths. So there's shadows and shading as we'd expect from the white light we are used to. No big surprises here. UV, however is weird in the it shows up hidden defects in skin and new patterns, (landing lights perhaps), to guide in the pollenating insects looking for nectar.

Asher