• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: Durga Puja

Prateek Dubey

61475-F.jpg

Prateek Dubey : Durga Puja

Festival season has begun in India. The great nine nights have just ended. The nine nights when the Goddess Durga fought the demon Mahishasur, slaying him in the end.
Festivities will continue right till march in some form or the other, bringing color, calories and sound in a wide variety in our life. It is especially welcome after the oppressive heat of May, June and July.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Festival season has begun in India. The great nine nights have just ended. The nine nights when the Goddess Durga fought the demon Mahishasur, slaying him in the end.
Festivities will continue right till march in some form or the other, bringing color, calories and sound in a wide variety in our life. It is especially welcome after the oppressive heat of May, June and July.

I got for the dates:

14th October 2010: Durga Puja - Saptami
15th October 2010: Durga Puja - Mahashtami
16th October 2010: Durga Puja - Navami
17th October 2010: Durga Puja - Vijaya Dasami

So festivities continue from October all the way to March 2011. What happens?

Asher

Prateek Dubey

I got for the dates:

14th October 2010: Durga Puja - Saptami
15th October 2010: Durga Puja - Mahashtami
16th October 2010: Durga Puja - Navami
17th October 2010: Durga Puja - Vijaya Dasami

So festivities continue from October all the way to March 2011. What happens?

Asher

Hey Asher,
After this, fifteen days later it is Deepawali and Kali Puja. Both in November. Then little but significant events like Bhai Duj etc. South India has its own set of festivities ( which I don't know much about), then in December there is Christmas ( A major festival for all of us here). January is low key, Feb is low key too, then March has Holi. After that there is lull till the monsoons.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, Prateek, you have a lot of pictures to assemble for us then. I hope we can get the stories too. There's suc h a huge cultural gap here as in Western cultures, we are supposed to be against idols but people venerate statues of "saints", the cross and Mary and some worship the flag! Still, it's hard for me to get around and grasp the understanding of worship of an idol. A god one cannot see seems easer. When one can photograph a god, it does not seem that divine, coming at least from my own narrow education.

Is it that the idol is the god or that it represents the god?

Asher