• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Water cuts rock ....

Rick Otto

My favorite pastime - wandering alone in the desert. Couldn't tell this was here from 50 feet away, but stumbled upon a deep george hidden from view by sagebrush .. Looked down and immediately knew that I had to get down there... It was raining lightly and the rocks were pretty slippery. Walked back to truck and drove home over an hour to get my ropes - drove back and rappelled down to the bottom - only about 30 feet, but not accessable without help. (Thank you Army for the life lessons) - Apparently since I was only about 2 miles from a volcano, it appears that an ancient river had carved these shapes out of the Basalt. Been back twice since then .. the first shot is what the bottom looks like, and the rest are some of my photos I took while there. Wonderful opportunities for some abstract images....

The kicker is after driving 2 extra hours, and risking the rappell, I walked about a half mile through the canyon, and found it just rose up and became a shallow dry river bed - level with the rest of the world.. Driving, Rapelling, Ropes and Risks never needed after all... Think I'll go back again this weekend.

6604719491_4537767a3a_z.jpg

6650016447_89ce7f608e_z.jpg

6649993745_c932bbd236_z.jpg

6649987835_678d709e2d_z.jpg

6649979221_278e451a37_z.jpg

Great find, Rick. I like all five photos, but the last one is my favorite. Rock, in its many forms and circumstances, is a wonderful subject.

I am glad you are returning to the place for further exploration and also that you will continue working on the possibilities there with your camera. This is your discovery, and the photographic results will be yours alone. Folks who limit their efforts to the well-trodden path seldom have this experience.

So, please share this weekend's results here.