• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Little chapel by the marsh

Don Ferguson Jr.

This pretty little chapel at Pawleys Island SC was interesting I thought having the marsh for the backyard. Might need to crop at the bottom though ? I thought some would like to see it .
Don

d5bad082.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This pretty little chapel at Pawleys Island SC was interesting I thought having the marsh for the backyard. Might need to crop at the bottom though ? I thought some would like to see it .

d5bad082.jpg

Do you have the choice of owning the marsh?

This is an interesting image. Yes there's a debate immediately called on seeing the picture as to what should be the lower border. Frankly you need it. What really is interesting is the contrasts and colors to the right. I wish you also had more to show with a wider angle. What else is to the right and in the foreground?

Anyway, Don, I have another question. Is the color palette optimum for that composition? Could rusts and golds work better?

Asher

Don Ferguson Jr.

d5bad082.jpg

Do you have the choice of owning the marsh?

Don, the color palette is awkward for that composition. Try risks and golds and a place for the mourning dove to visit. That will work and you will have no second thoughts on the composition. The driveway will now be a necessary part of the work, I promise you...... sticks neck out, LOL!!

Asher
Asher, I would have owned it had the Tokina 11-16mm been on my 7D instead of the 17-85 IS . :D Not sure how I could do rust and golds .
Oh, I did PP out a huge telephone pole at the end of the ramp to the church . Kinda of a hard place to get the right comp. But this shows you how far it is in the marsh .
Don

1d3375fa.jpg

Asher Kelman

Don

d5bad082.jpg

Don Ferguson Jr.: Little Chapel By the Marsh

Original

DON_d5bad082_AK.jpg

Edited ADK

I'd offer that this toning might work better with your composition and perhaps now you might not want to even think of cropping as the roadway belongs to the rest of the picture. What do you think?

I'm not saying I'm correct in this, rather it's another aspect of what composition might include in making a picture seem unified.

Asher

Don Ferguson Jr.

Asher, I like it and wish I had your PP skills. I have PSE 9 that can do layer mask and gradient editor which I presume you used so can you tell me the steps ?
How about this I did in LR kinda of a beach feeling ?

Don

27cce3a5.jpg

Asher Kelman

Asher, I like it and wish I had your PP skills. I have PSE 9 that can do layer mask and gradient editor which I presume you used so can you tell me the steps ?
How about this I did in LR kinda of a beach feeling ?

d5bad082.jpg

Original

DON_d5bad082_AK.jpg

Edited ADK

27cce3a5.jpg

Don,

Yes, you have the path in the picture now and it's lost the sense of foreignness and there's no longer so much urge to crop. Actually cropping here really doesn't help as one could keep doing it and although one gains, one also loses.

I cheated and used a short cut. I pretended this was a portrait and put it through the PS plugin program "Portraiture" even though it's not supposed to work, it does, LOL. just don't tell anyone else! :)

Asher

Robert Watcher

Sorry for butting in - - - but I notice that you are playing with different processing in order to see if the efforts improve the image or not. This is stuff that I love doing with my own images as well.

To start off - I am not critiquing your image as there is obviously a story to the subject matter and a reason that you shot it the way that you did. As an outsider that just came to your post, I was not really drawn to a particular part of the photograph - except to maybe the white overexposed church (which is where your eyes always go). I didn't find that the obvious curves were as useful as they could be in directing the viewers attention. And then the addition of some of the effects added on in the replies - while kind of artsy, didn't really improve that situation.

Part of it for me, is the horizon line which goes right across the center of the frame at midpoint. As well the church is at that same position. This is one of those circumstances where the rules of thirds would really benefit I think. I realize that to do that though, you may not be able to get the aspect ratio that you want when you crop.

At any rate, I hope you don't mind that I played with your image - - - cropping it so that the horizon is higher in the frame - - - using adjustment layer masks to actually lighten some of the dark lines of the curved area of grass - - - selectively dodging and burning areas to drawn the eye to where it needs to go - - - and lastly increasing the tonal contrast for a little more punch in the details. I did not add any gradients or use any color actions. I used Color Balance to add a touch of Red and Yellow overall, as well as Selective Color to go in and selectively tweak the Reds and Greens only.

I also realize that you may not have some of the editing tools that will allow you to accomplish the same thing (particularly the tonal contrast) - - - but hopefully it will help you visualize other possibilities in process where you can come to your own methods of achieving more impact. And maybe you won't like the looks at all, and that is perectly fine with me.

Instead of making a few different versions with variations in the color, I made one that is in color and the other as a toned black and white.

13417021009290_opf2.jpg

13417022259193_opf1.jpg

Don Ferguson Jr.

Robert, I appreciate you taking a look at the photo and like the color and B&W you chose in both. I did the same with the crop at first tight against the frame and high before I posted this one, that I took a long time with PSE9 taking out a telephone pole and fire hydrant right in front of the ramp ;)
Yea, I might have broke the composing rule posting this one but it is fun to play being an amateur and I would probably print this as a 5 x 7 with my Epson 1400.
Best Regards,
Don

Last edited: