• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Review: Affinity:The Viable Challenger for Photoshop CC for most Serious Photographers

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The holy grail of image editing might have arrived. Affinity is a program that does layers, fine editing, fabulous masking and content aware repair of images.

Affinity_0.jpg

I have not seem previously any candidate that appears written from the ground up to be Mac OS X friendly and not have any burden of millions of lines of generations old code to carry as legacy.

Here are some60 plus well presented tutorials.

It uses different kinds of workspaces. Here for example is a production workspace for "Liquify"

Affinity.jpg

More to follow!

Asher

Asher Kelman

There's so much more. One can select hair very quickly and with several extra swipes on the remaining stragglers, the fine hairs can be cleanly cut out. There are a bunch of very powerful tools to adjust this final step.

Need new Brushes, there's a capable brush generation engine!

Affinity Brushes.jpg

Affinity_03.jpg

The procedure for warping, distorting or correcting perspective is well designed and a mature tool ready for pro use.

There are endless layers and every type imaginable is available. History? How about 800 sequential steps?

Affinity_01.jpg

and you want to edit portraits, fashion, glamor and artwork? Well here Affinity can set you up with all the needed tools. I especially like the frequency separation module for clearing up skin blemishes, but you could use it for so many other purposes.

For $50, this seems to be an amazing bargain. Let's hope there are no serious flaws. I doubt it as it is based on a very rich set of graphics tools built into Mac OS X operating system.

So take a risk and try it out and report your findings here!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Why have there been no comments? Is everyone using a PC? I would have thought this would be welcomed so enthusiastically. Bad reports? I've not read any yet?

Asher

Asher Kelman

49.99 USD! Woof!

Rumor is that a Windows version is "next".

Domage, Doug!

The company does make amateur products for the PC, but for the Mac, it's an open area with little competition for deposing Adobe. Add to that the relationship between Affinity development and Apple color engineers, since they are exploiting the built in color engine and editing tools in OS X! It's simply an image aware software from the outset! So there's little chance of a Windows™ version!

What I am looking for is the ability to use graphic processor and also release memory that's no longer required. Photoshop, unfortunately is not always well mannered when it's finished using resources!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Why have there been no comments? Is everyone using a PC? I would have thought this would be welcomed so enthusiastically. Bad reports? I've not read any yet?

Asher

Well Asher

maybe because I didn't this news before!

I'm going for many photo shoots of yachts and vineyards during the upcoming month, but for sure will give it a try as soon as I get a day free!

How long does the trial version lasts? is it a complete version?

Thanks for that great info!

BTW does it work on raw files?

I've also read elsewhere that DXO will have a new module soon, including, ENFIN !, the Pentax 645 D and Z…

Asher Kelman

Well Asher

maybe because I didn't this news before!

I'm going for many photo shoots of yachts and vineyards during the upcoming month, but for sure will give it a try as soon as I get a day free!

How long does the trial version lasts? is it a complete version?

Thanks for that great info!

BTW does it work on raw files?

I've also read elsewhere that DXO will have a new module soon, including, ENFIN !, the Pentax 645 D and Z…

It works on RAW files for sure! It's especially good for Pentax 645Z RAW files my friend!

Look at this review here

Good luck on the shoots! Taste the wines and taste them again. Life goes so fast!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

I meant dommage in the sense of "what a pity", not "that's just tough" (and certainly not in the literal sense of "damage", although it is usually used in the plural for that).

Best regards,

Doug
I was not referring to your own "dommages", but my alliteration to the Englisg word,
Domage in the sense of "subjugation" by the dark side, ie Windows! IOW, be liberated and leave behind the past and get Mac!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Speed Comparison - NEW Affinity Photo - Photoshop CS6

I will attest to the fact that this product has been optimized for use on the Mac OS and is impressively faster than Photoshop in projects with many layers of objects.

I purchased Affinity 2 months ago, and made this video at the time showing the speed results of a project I was working on - using my 13" Macbook Air:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdlXeE_S2is

How to Set Up Affinity Photo as External Editor in Lightroom

My main photo editing and organizing application is Lightroom. When I need to combine parts of multiple images or just use Photoshop features such as Content Aware on parts of my image - I open the image into Photoshop from within Lightroom. That is so much easier and allows any Lightroom processing to be included if that is desired.

So I was curious if I would be able to open my files in the same way using Affinity. And sure enough I am able to. I made this video to show the setup for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PatN25_shs4

---------

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I was not referring to your own "dommages", but my alliteration to the Englisg word,
Domage in the sense of "subjugation" by the dark side, ie Windows! IOW, be liberated and leave behind the past and get Mac!

Oh, I'm sorry! I missed that completely. "Domage" is a clever coinage.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Speed Comparison - NEW Affinity Photo - Photoshop CS6

I will attest to the fact that this product has been optimized for use on the Mac OS and is impressively faster than Photoshop in projects with many layers of objects.

I purchased Affinity 2 months ago, and made this video at the time showing the speed results of a project I was working on - using my 13" Macbook Air:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdlXeE_S2is

---------

Robert,

Now I remember where I first heard about Affinity - from you I believe. You posted this link previously and I was impressed but so busy I didn't digest everything. Your video is so well done. Obviously the Affinity engineers are really exploiting the Mac OS X and Mac hardware "Universe" well. I would love you to try your test opening the same files on PS 5. I have a suspicion it might be much faster then CC 2015 which is a resource hog and so slow with very large, 1-2 GB files.

Do you have PS 5 to test?

Asher

Robert Watcher

Robert,

Now I remember where I first heard about Affinity - from you I believe. You posted this link previously and I was impressed but so busy I didn't digest everything. Your video is so well done. Obviously the Affinity engineers are really exploiting the Mac OS X and Mac hardware "Universe" well. I would love you to try your test opening the same files on PS 5. I have a suspicion it might be much faster then CC 2015 which is a resource hog and so slow with very large, 1-2 GB files.

Do you have PS 5 to test?

Asher

Sorry I don't Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Do you mean PS CS5 (PS 12)?

For what it might be worth, I have PS CS5 installed and operational on Windows 7 Pro X64.

@Robert,

I will see if PS 5 still works and do a check on a large file with Affinity v different versions of PS.

This speed difference you have demonstrated, if applicable to other large images, could be THE biggest reason for switching!

@ Doug,

Take note! :)

You can run Affinity Photo under Mac OS X on many PC computers! Join the new thread for the PC here.

Asher