• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Carrie

Doug Kerr

Carrie is the wife of an active-duty member of the US Armed Forces; mother of two; founder and chair of the Otero County (N.M.) chapter of Indivisible, a grass-roots political movement; recently-announced candidate for one of three seats on our Board of County Commissioners; and, perhaps best of all, president of the Alamogordo Roller Derby League. (Who said we don't have any culture out here in the desert!) She skates, by the way, under the name Mako. Our local team is the Alamo Rocket Dolls.

Here we see Carrie at a recent county political organization meeting in a local Mexican restaurant:

G08464-02-800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Carrie

To our right is David, like myself a retired engineer of the telecommunication persuasion.

This was shot from my seat at the table, a fair distance away, with Carla's trusty Canon PowerShot G16: ISO 800, f/2.2, 1/15 sec, image stabilization, available light.

Best regards,

Doug

James Lemon

Carrie is the wife of an active-duty member of the US Armed Forces; mother of two; founder and chair of the Otero County (N.M.) chapter of Indivisible, a grass-roots political movement; recently-announced candidate for one of three seats on our Board of County Commissioners; and, perhaps best of all, president of the Alamogordo Roller Derby League. (Who said we don't have any culture out here in the desert!) She skates, by the way, under the name Mako. Our local team is the Alamo Rocket Dolls.

Here we see Carrie at a recent county political organization meeting in a local Mexican restaurant:

G08464-02-800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Carrie

To our right is David, like myself a retired engineer of the telecommunication persuasion.

This was shot from my seat at the table, a fair distance away, with Carla's trusty Canon PowerShot G16: ISO 800, f/2.2, 1/15 sec, image stabilization, available light.

Best regards,

Doug

Hello Doug

Was the slow shutter speed intentional? The rule of thumb is the reciprocal of the focal length for a stable image. I actually like to double that number to ensure a stable image.

Doug Kerr

Hi, James,

Hello Doug

Was the slow shutter speed intentional? The rule of thumb is the reciprocal of the focal length for a stable image. I actually like to double that number to ensure a stable image.

f/2.2 was the largest aperture I had at that focal length, and ISO 1600 is about the highest I like to go with this camera (with a rather small sensor) (but I unintentionally shot this at ISO 800).

So the metering system put up 1/15 sec. (I generally shoot in this situation with programmable exposure.)

Fortunately the image stabilization system helps a lot in this situation if there is no subject movement.

Of course, Carrie is a movement!

Thanks for you observation.

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hello Doug

Well, that was with older shutters and especially with mirrors and longer lenses.

With electronic shutters it depends on the mass of the camera. In my camera, the Fuji GFX MF, at f4 the camera is stable at 1/15 second to even 1/7 second, handheld with the 32-64mm lens, (25.6-51.2 mm in 35mm terms).

Asher

Doug Kerr

Some observations on "the rule of thumb" as to shutter speed:

• This guideline is of course aimed at the matter of "camera shake", and has nothing to do with the matter of subject motion.

• Of course, the use of image stabilization makes all bets off.

• If we assume that the moment of inertia of (a) the camera rig in use, and (b) the typical full-frame 35-mm camera rig upon which the original establishment of the "rule of thumb" was empirically predicated, are the same (that is, they both respond the same angularly when "hand held"), then, to the extent that the "rule of thumb" is meaningful, we need to work it based on the full-frame 35-mm equivalent focal length of the rig in use.

Best regards,

Doug

James Lemon

It is still a valid rule that allows a window for user error. Not all new cameras or lenses have image stabilization.