• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hi from John in the UK

John_Nevill

Looking through other welcome messages, where does one start?

Well i'm an obsesssively keen amateur, started out in late 70's on Zenit and Practika SLRs, did a few correspondence courses (it was all the rage then) and after 7 years or playing with chemicals in a converted bedroom (darkroom), I decided to give it all up and concentrate on my career and get a degree and MBA. Then the kids came along and wasn't until 1999 that I refound my interest due to the advent of the 2Mp digicam.

Two year's ago I sold all my Olympus SLR gear for the price of a 2Gb compact flash card and bought a couple of EOS dSLRs......My passion was reborn!
I'm climbing the digital ladder and still dream about being a full time professional photographer, but alas economics preside.

18 Months ago, I put together an independent UK based amateur website for EOS enthusiasts and embarked into the world of ICC profile creation. I mainly photograph wildlife, spend a lot of time in Zoos and love bird and ape photography.

My passion has never been stronger and hopefully joining an open forum like this I can both learn and make some contribution.

Welcome John!

We share the same love of nature photography, on this side of the pond, and birds are definitely my passion. I look forward to your posts on the Nature-Wildlife-Landscape Forum!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John,

Believe me your MBA and your kids come first! You did the right things.

What is amazing about real photographers is that the camera virus might go dormant, but sure enough it errupts again and then it is full blown!

Make sure you sign with the URL for your own website. That is the value of this place. The love of Nature is so important as we see habitat threatened by us and the weather changes that also come from things like the change in the axis of the Earth.

We are in what may be the greatest extinction of amphibians and birds for 50,000 years or perhaps even a million years.

Each time you show a picture of wildlife, it reminds us of this heritage.

Please post as much as you can in the Landscape and wildlife section. We need a good presence. Also I'd love to see a link to your portfolio by your signature.

So a large personal welcome.

Asher :)

As an aside, could you update me on the infestation in England the parasite that is destroying the earthworms in England and actually is a major threat to British agriculture. If you don't know about it, you will be intrigued to say the least. The parasite is like a Boa snake, it winds round the earthworm in a spiral and then kills it. This part is for real. no joke at all.

BTW, where do you live in the U.K. I don't want you to get eaten at night while you are sleeping!

PHP: