• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A place for compasses, GPS and stuff holds, supports and protects your gear!

Nill Toulme

Thanks for the reminder. I've been meaning to order UPstraps for my 20D and binocs. I don't use shoulder straps very often on the 1D bodies, so I'll stick with the Optech QR's for those. Speaking of which, the QR version of the UPstrap is finally shipping, but it looks over-engineered for my purposes...

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Nill Toulme said:
Speaking of which, the QR version of the UPstrap is finally shipping, but it looks over-engineered for my purposes...

They aren't. I only got mine very recently (less than a week) and was stunned by Al Stegmeyer's attention to detail and finish. For about one and a half decades I was a huge fan of OP/tech's neoprene QR straps. During my Football WC assignments I had to lug around the D2x and a large, heavy bag for hours. That in itself wasn't too bad, after all the OP/tech is designed to take up some weight. Unfortunately I also had to run around a lot, something the OP/tech is definitely not designed to do.

Comparing the UPstrap SLR-QR with OP/tech's quick release version the UPstrap wins, not hands-down because I am not quite sure if the QR buckles used aren't a bit too big (they are standard size as found on many shoulder bags), OP/tech's much smaller ones work very well. Another thing I like about the OP/techs is the part that threads onto the camera's strap ring - a simple but very effective and durable mounting link made of plastic. Not to forget, they put one male on one side and a female part of the QR on the other (not two of one) side of the camera, so one can form a short carrying handle.

All three advantages I just described aren't decisive; as I wrote, I haven't made up my mind on the larger buckles. They may actually slightly more rugged, although the OP/tech's never failed once for me. OTOH, the UPstrap ones don't have a downside [yet]. Even better, Mr Stegmeyer's way of threading them onto the web let's the strap hang straight down. His UPstrap is a bit more flexible, too, there's more room to adjust its length.

I am testing the UPstraps a bit more over the next few weeks but I am already impressed.

Dierk,
I saw reviews and few pics if the UPstrap on their site and over LL, but I'm wondering if you could eventually post your own pictures of it "in action"?
This would be very helpful!
TIA!

Dierk Haasis

pro member
I will, unfortunately for a half-way decent report on them I need a bit of time [beside that, there are two other bigger projects I have to see to]. Hopefully I remember this exchange and will include comparison pictures of both straps, although I doubt I will rethread a few times, so the OP/tech will only be shown off camera.

Dierk,

Dierk Haasis said:
I will, unfortunately for a half-way decent report on them I need a bit of time [beside that, there are two other bigger projects I have to see to]. Hopefully I remember this exchange and will include comparison pictures of both straps, although I doubt I will rethread a few times, so the OP/tech will only be shown off camera.

That's totally fine, with me at least, since I have (and love:) OP/tech Pro Loop, so I'm mostly interested in the real-life usage shots of the UPstrap...

Thanks, man!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Finally, we have this room to discuss all the bags, straps, cases, backpacks, tripods, clamps, plamps and more.

If it supports, hold, protects, contains anything for your studio, trip, location or transport by any means, this is the place.

Asher

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Q'n'd:

UPstrap.jpg
Pad.jpg

QR_cam.jpg

QR_big.jpg

The pads are not pre-formed, I just used a little trick to get them life-like; they are straight rubber-like pads, which snug onto your shoulder. With the D2x I have now more trouble getting my arm into a sensible position to not obstruct it too much. Before the UPstrap I used my arm to jam the gear towards my body, thus holding it in place - this is no longer needed. I can move the arm freely without fearing for my equipment.

After only a few days I have already adapted to the UPstrap's advantages. Give me a bit more time and I might come up with serious downsides, although I don't think so. I liked the OP/tech's but the UPstrap makes them look and feel overengineered and under-thought.