• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Event Photography Software: What is available and what do you use?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What software do you use for large events where there are 100-1000 people who are going to need their pictures. do you have a page printed out that you photograph or is their a form with a barcode reader.

I'd like some ideas.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Kathy,

I was thinking of something where one uses a bar code reader to enter the person's name into the metadata for the next series of pictures. Then it's the secretaries who have to enter the data in the first place. After that, it should be labeled according to the data pulled in by the barcode reader. Then when loaded on line it would be placed according the the name and groupings or whatever one wanted. I'm going to be doing a shoot of over 1000 people!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Events

1000 people! Wow. You need an assistant.

What you could do is what they did in school. Make some flip cards with numbers on them. Punch holes in the flip card on a ring and put it in the frame as you shoot. Since you shoot with a 2/3 camera you can auto crop it out. Put a cropline focus screen on the camera and the numbers should be in the out cropped area. Tie that number into the form they fill out.

Asher Kelman

1000 people! Wow. You need an assistant.

What you could do is what they did in school. Make some flip cards with numbers on them. Punch holes in the flip card on a ring and put it in the frame as you shoot. Since you shoot with a 2/3 camera you can auto crop it out. Put a cropline focus screen on the camera and the numbers should be in the out cropped area. Tie that number into the form they fill out.
The other thing I can do is have each student hold up a preprinted sheet with their name on it and then I snap one extra picture to have the data. However, it would be nicer to have a bar code reader automatically pull in all the data to the IPTC file of the pictures.

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Trade show

Asher,

I was just a the Wedding and Portrait trade show and there was a section of it called all about schools....I did not see any vendors with solutions with bar codes to IPTC files

Asher Kelman

If you shoot tethered using C1 you could enter details (name or serial number) direct to the images.
Gregg,

Of course, but that means more work for the photographer and if done at the time of the shoot, it's a delay. I am looking for something automatic like a barcode data entry. The person comes with a form printed with a barcode on it and one simply uses a barcode reader either at that time or late in ones catalog software, to acquire the data into the IPTC code. For sure I am not the inventor of such an idea!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks so much, Gregg!

They are really nice folks there at Foolography.com! I know about their geotagging gear but not this produce. It appears to be, once again, only Nikon savvy! Still I've written to them. So let's see what happens. Meanwhile perhaps some one knows a software that might recognize barcodes within images and then use that to pull in data to the IPTC files about each person photographed.

Asher

RoyVarley

Currently, I have software that I wrote myself which uses hot folders to print immediately on an 8x10 dye-sub printer. The camera is connected via wireless to the PC. It works well. Currently not suitable for general release (still working on some extra tools and functionality) but eventually I'll make it available either for donation or small fee.

In the meantime, I had a situation where I needed to 'break' photo shoots by session (different group or individuals). So I created some EXIF functionality which watched for a change in exposure mode (this was just a convenience) and then shifted the destination folder to the next, numbered folder. In use, after each group or individual, I held down the exposure mode button and took a shot of the floor (or anything) - this shot was captured by the software and used as a trigger to shift destination folders for the next batch of shots. Worked fine for that particular event.

But that experience led me to the thought that a generic EXIF processing function might be useful. For example, capturing barcodes and using the barcode to name a destination folder or something else... such as the sort of functionality you are after.

If you or anyone else is interested, I'm happy to receive a wish-list of ideas and incorporate some of them into my next, publicly releasable version of the software. You folks can test it out...

Windows PCs only at the moment. I have thoughts of creating a MAC/PC version but that's a year off at least.

Otto Haring

What software do you use for large events where there are 100-1000 people who are going to need their pictures. do you have a page printed out that you photograph or is their a form with a barcode reader.

I'd like some ideas.

Asher

Get Photoshop at least! You can add other softwares later...

Asher Kelman

Get Photoshop at least! You can add other softwares later...

Otto,

We all have photoshop. The question is how to have a workflow at the wedding where guests can get their pictures on site, ordering from stations with a computer screen and keyboard.

Asher