• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Still Life: One type of object and perhaps one single contrasting "prop" if you wish

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Still Life: One type of object and perhaps one single contrasting "prop" if you wish

A Simple Still Life win Natural Light! Let's start with something really simple. No bowls of varied fruits or vegetables for now! We want just to play with composition and light!

Subsequently we can get more ambitious. A actually, this is much harder, as bowls of fruit are in themselves hardly ever not attractive, LOL!

Substitute hammers, jars, pebbles, fish from the market or the water, books, boxes or any other non-breathing object you fancy1

At your choice, add up to one single different item - cloth, fruit, dead day or whatever!

The key here is stark simplicity and natural lighting.

• 1-4 of the same class of object
  • 1 one other ancillary item
  • up to 3 backgrounds (eg table, wall and sky)

Examples: (credit will be given once I identify the respective artists)

IMG_8534.JPG

Hall Groat: Bartlett Pear with Red Cherry

IMG_8531.JPG

Pat Markle:Three Pears with Leaf

Have fun!

Asher

Last edited:
Well, I thought I'd have time to do a shoot today, but my plans changed so this evening (no more natural light) I looked through some images to help this thread take off as I thought it was a fun thing to do.

I have several to start off with the simplest of compositions.

1- One Flower and 1 bud

onelastbloom.jpg

2- 1 bunch of Asparagus and 1 elastic band.

asparagus.jpg

3- Radicchio; I head and a bowl as a prop to hold it up.

radicchio.jpg

4-1 fork and 1 measuring tape

whatyoueat.jpg

5- 1 snow boot and 1 bootlace

snowboots.jpg

I think these compositions are as simple as you can get. I tried to show different styles and I hope you enjoy them.
:)
Maggie

Asher Kelman

Well, I thought I'd have time to do a shoot today, but my plans changed so this evening (no more natural light) I looked through some images to help this thread take off as I thought it was a fun thing to do.

One Flower and 1 bud

onelastbloom.jpg

Maggie,

This very first one is especially rich and feminine. You've set a high bar for us all and the others show your versatility with so many varied forms!

We better get to work!

Asher

One Flower and 1 bud

onelastbloom.jpg

Maggie,

This very first one is especially rich and feminine. You've set a high bar for us all and the others show your versatility with so many varied forms!

We better get to work!

Asher
Asher,
The 'you are what you eat' and the 'snow boot' are several years old. The snow boot was when I started doing photography and was actually taken with a point and shoot. I think my style is a bit more delicate now (at least I hope so)
:)
Maggie

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
A simple 'like every day life" delicious moment to share…

Asher, I sent you an invitation last week for a Cognac onboard Grand Bleu Vintage, then for a cup of tea…
I hope this time, you'll enjoy with me this very simple shot with an iPhone…
That knife has a very special story! Can you remember?

IMG_5819.JPG

Asher Kelman

Asher, I sent you an invitation last week for a Cognac onboard Grand Bleu Vintage, then for a cup of tea…
I hope this time, you'll enjoy with me this very simple shot with an iPhone…
That knife has a very special story! Can you remember?

IMG_5819.JPG

A simple and delicious composition! That knife does bring back memories. But did you buy it in LA?

Asher