• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Invocations America Wm Blackford Photography

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Charlotte,

I like the pictures but can't embrace the music just yet.

A good representation of your artistry. In fact looking at your other wonderful 'video' sets of your 2D work, the beat of the music never seems to match the mystical and slow delicate imagery.

The rhythm, it seems to me, should match or relate to the fabric or subject of the imagery in some organic way, just as music does in a film. The pacing and cuts always work together with the content and pacing of the pictures.

Of course, it's just one fellows opinion and I could have missed some synergy which, to most others is obvious.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

Thank you. Music and art seem extremely personal for me. The music I use always represents my own intentions and merit of the art. I dance inside with what I choose so it is totally my vibrations. Works for me!

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

Asher

Thank you. Music and art seem extremely personal for me. The music I use always represents my own intentions and merit of the art. I dance inside with what I choose so it is totally my vibrations. Works for me!

Charlotte-

Well then, if the artist herself chose the music, it cannot be wrong. After all, art to be "Art", has to resonate in the evoked response of just its creator. For me, the visual aspects are so strong, familiar and competent that the collection, presented thus still works.

Some things we don't get to understand in toto and that's life!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Yes Asher

Let me tell you this is the way I see this- The title first of all creates the tone... the photographs are stating how somber parts of America are felt through visuals and music- The trusting parts, the dark, the beauty that a are some parts of us/Americans- We are going through I would define mildly as somber" in America as the vibrations I" feel come through in the music choice for the tone of the photography.

Asher Kelman

Yes Asher

Let me tell you this is the way I see this- The title first of all creates the tone... the photographs are stating how somber parts of America are felt through visuals and music- The trusting parts, the dark, the beauty that a are some parts of us/Americans- We are going through I would define mildly as somber" in America as the vibrations I" feel come through in the music choice for the tone of the photography.

Charlotte,

I see, you are concentrating first on "tone"!

The mood is in the tones. That I appreciate. I will go back and absorb that. Still, the rate at which the pictures change and the level of detail and the movement of the pictures, seem out of synch for me with the meter of the music.

Asher

Last edited:

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

I do appreciate your intake! Tone is feeling to me. We are surrounded by vibrations . I wanted somber to be in touch with visual message. The somber topaz chant of todays America. I understand you cannot vibrate to this tone. It deeply affects me in so many ways it is hard to explain. I am an American. This is some of my America. The photographer I understand and know. Trust me this fits. BTW I am a BIG FAN of TONY SCOTT's movies and visuals. I deeply regret is dead .

Asher Kelman

Well, Charlotte, tone is the mood your mind sends to envelope your body in buttercup petals, moths wings or thorns. The rhythm, by contrast is the beat to which your limbs move and your shoulders and pelvis gyrates. When a pictures clicks to the next position, it is best to also hit a beat in the rhythm of the music, just like the lips of a singer are in synch with the words of the song. We are expert and intuitive and we can easily see a person who dances well, every sinew of the body in line with the beat and melody as opposed to the awkward movements of the iconic nerd with 3 pencils, a comb and a slide rule in his shirt pocket, who has no apparent sense to move his body, apart from bobbing up and down!

The two parts of the 3 part equation you have aced: namely the image content and the emotions of the music, but the rhythm, (of the movement of the sequential changing of your slides and their content), does not match the music in any measure I can currently fathom.

This is an area of movie editing that takes up as much effort, experience, knowledge and skill as either the creation of the pictures or the composing of the music itself. Also, we're so used to seeing perfectly timed matching of changing images with music in every ingle advertisement and each fraction of a scene on any TV or theatrically released movie. This appreciation is now instinctive! We recognize any lack of synergy between pacing of slides or parts of slides and the timing of beats in accompanying music. If there's a mismatch, we can get exiled from the magical and creative universe your work begs us to enter!

My son has worked on major soundtracks, so I have personal knowledge of this set of hard one skillsets needed for adding music to imagery. One does not want to alter the perfect images or the well chosen music, but one can use certain tricks to make it appear that the two are in synch, at all times.

One can have more slides, each being a portion of thevwholebor the whole again. One can zoom in or out or walk over an image detail by detail as the music directs the pace.

I take this effort to challenge you to move from interesting, wonderful and praiseworthy to a level of excellence that demands folk send everyone they know to your site to feed on your delightful offerings.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

Well said! You know I love a challenge debate school and Jewish boys and all- I haven't done many videos- Not many- But film done in a genre I am especially excited about thrills me! I do have much to learn and I want too. I ail be doing another video of his work of Flowers. They are super special in a way that deepens the understanding of beauty, life, and death or dying through nature. O you do prod me!

Asher Kelman

In a video or film, the images can be out of focus, very dark, streaked, the camera shaky and folk will just think, film noir", "cutting edge", "thought-provoking" or other artsy farts stuff. But sound is not like that! In fact if there are crackles or it's out of synch with the action, folk will "Boo!" And the theater will empty in minutes for refunds!

There is zero tolerance for imperfect sound!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

prin·ci·ple
ˈprinsəpəl/Submit
noun
a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behavior or for a chain of reasoning.
"the basic principles of Christianity"
synonyms: truth, proposition, concept, idea, theory, assumption, fundamental, essential, ground rule
"elementary principles"

Asher Kelman

LOL and please tell me what is Perfect... the very idea is offensive.

Charlotte,

I never met or wanted "perfect", except as a a simple sense of alignment of corresponding pieces in a jigsaw puzzle or convenient dates to meet on a calendar.

However, imperfect is easier to recognize in the extremes, such as a brand new Apple iPhone with scratches over the glass or the seal of a bottle of wine that's clearly unreliable. Simple, try showing a movie with sound that is not clear, has crackles and pops or disrupts the sense of the drama, folk will show their consternation by voting with their feet and leave.

Perfect sound for me, if pressed, would be the sound of a mother soothing her infant, the wind blowing over a field of wheat, the rustle of leaves in autum, the chirp of crickets at night or the purr of a kitten. But for sounds humans make with instruments, unlike all the natural sounds of nature, it only works when there is an approach to some resonance, harmony or melody with some pattern that is pleasing to the ear of many listeners at the same time. While a parent might enjoy the scratchy sounds of a fiver year old Suzuki student, that is unpleasant to most and is a typical example of imperfect sound.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher is the sound quality bad on the video- That must be the problem?

Charlotte,

There is nothing wrong with the quality of the sound or the quality of the pictures. There is no criticism of you setting the tone by choice of the music. However, the integration of the geometry and pacing of the revelation of the art with the fixed geometry of the chosen music has not been made. They are merely fitted together.

Instead, like the teeth in a set of wheels in a fine watch, they need to fit precisely. Since the music, in your hands, is unlikely to be editable, then one synchronizes the art by making changes and revelations to coincide with the beat of the music.

That way, the progress of the artwork seems determined by the pace of the music. Currently, there's an obvious disconnect.

Asher