• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Drizzly day at the beach

Made all spiffy with some artsy post-processing.

impressionbeach.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

impressionbeach.jpg

Actually, Mike, it is rather "spiffy", as you suggest. In fact if this were painted it would get aclaim. I quite fancy it because it has a lot of choices for direction and yet, with the rail lines, a hint of future possibilities.

Asher.

Asher Kelman

BTW,

The use of "art" filters is, to me, perfectly respectable in making an uplifting work for a particular audience

Asher Kelman

impressionbeach.jpg

I would add a mask and carefully bring back the edges of the bushes on the right and form of the rolling waves on the left.

Did you add the white picket fence or was it lifted naturally by the growth of the bushes? If so it is surprisingly perfect!

Asher

Thanks Asher! I do love post-processing, and especially adding art effects via software since I don't paint manually.

Ironically, I like traditional artwork when it's photorealistic and photos when they're artistic.

Here is the original plus the view if you pan to the left.

beachalt.jpg

The camera I used (Nikon L810) seems to have softness at the extreme right when zoomed all the way out, which contributes to the bushes being soft there.

Otherwise I could have controlled the processing of the waves differently, good idea.

I had other edits of this that I came across yesterday while cleaning up my hard drives but of course I can't find them today...

Asher Kelman

One suggestion when taking such pictures. Something I find useful in my own work. Don't be limited by the view that the camera engineers made possible with a particular lens. I always try to overlap adjacent frames "just in case" I want a wider view when I get home.

Ansel Adams might spend hours contemplating a scene but then months or years working on the negative. Today we can do the same. Having optically coherent adjacent frames is such an advantage.

Not that one cannot compose perfectly on site. Many photographers master that skill. Credit to them! However on site, the human perception is influenced by many more factors than the light the eye collects from the scene. One has scents, sounds and atmosphere from presences of adjacent trees, birds flying path or the wind. So it is not at all surprising that we have to start thinking anew when we see our pictures on the computer monitor and feel a need to adjust the final form!

Asher