• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Scheimpflug principles - new tutorial article

D

Doug Kerr

Meta.editorial™ A researched and evaluated contribution. 2006_opf_a0002

In connection with the use of a lens tilt capability to allow well-focused photography of an array of objects lying in a plane but not one that is parallel to the film (sensor) plane, we often hear reference to "the Scheimpflug principle" (or rule). This is said to state that all objects lying in a plane can be perfectly focsued upon if that plane, the film or sensor plane, and a plane through the lens all intersect in a common line.

In fact, that condition is only half of the requirement to provide proper focus across a plane. The second condition is articulated in another principle of Scheimpflug, one we rarely hear about.

I have just released to my technical information site, The Pumpkin, a new tutorial article, The Scheimpflug Principles, which discusses this matter in detail. It is available here:

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/index.htm#Scheimpflug

Editors note: This post will, I believe, serve as an aid in understanding some of the rationale behind of altering plane of focus. It refers to a well-researched original article which appears to give proper attribution to its sources.

Last edited by a moderator:

KrisCarnmarker

Excellent! Thanks Doug, this was (almost) just what I needed. I still need a little more math to figure out how it overcomes the difference in distance, but I going to read that Robert Wheeler article your refer to.

BTW, on page 7 you write "...the plane of perfect object focus must pass through both lines, S and H." Surely this should read "M and H", no?

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Kris,

BTW, on page 7 you write "...the plane of perfect object focus must pass through both lines, S and H." Surely this should read "M and H", no?

Yes, oops. Originally, I identified that line as "S" (for you-know-who), but later I found that Schedimpflug had identified it as "M", so I changed it to match. But I evidently didn't catch every place.

Thanks.

I'll make a "quiet" update.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Diane Fields

Doug Kerr said:
In connection with the use of a lens tilt capability to allow well-focused photography of an array of objects lying in a plane but not one that is parallel to the film (sensor) plane, we often hear reference to "the Scheimpflug principle" (or rule). This is said to state that all objects lying in a plane can be perfectly focsued upon if that plane, the film or sensor plane, and a plane through the lens all intersect in a common line.

In fact, that condition is only half of the requirement to provide proper focus across a plane. The second condition is articulated in another principle of Scheimpflug, one we rarely hear about.

I have just released to my technical information site, The Pumpkin, a new tutorial article, The Scheimpflug Principles, which discusses this matter in detail. It is available here:

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/index.htm#Scheimpflug

Just in time, Doug. I'm starting my T/S exploration. I still have the Canon 24 TSE rented (until Tuesday) but have decided to tip my toes in gradually and decided to order the Hartblei 35 TS super rotator. So--this article is timely for me. I've read it once---but that's not enough LOL. I'll reread several times. Thanks for all your past articles too.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug, we appreciate the learned contributions in this thread. The alterations and choice of plane of focus are of critical importance to all aspects of photography.

We look forward to you covering this further.

Your post, is now classified as a meta.editorial™ to signify its value in this forum. As part of celebrating OPF, you get to choose a gift.

I will start another thread for that!

Asher

Last edited:

Sid Jervis

pro member
Thanks for the article Doug, I am just starting my prelim' work/investigation before buying a T/S lens. So glad you posted it, I couldn't have found the article at a better time.
Thanks.