• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Documentary - The Making Of Blurred vision

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Since we last met the world has changed.
On a lesser note, the US has a new Master of Ceremonies for the next circus, GB has decided they hate the French and Germans even more than they could imagine and religion continues to twist the minds of gullible people.
On a more significant note, I have lost all clarity of thought and now see the world as a strange and contorted prognostication and I await my fate.
So that I am prepared, all images of the past have been eradicated. The past can no longer appear so clearly as in a photograph. It must be as blurred as the present or as unseen as the future.

The very idea that my present is beautiful or to be liked is abhorrent to me. The camera records what I see; the photograph reflects not a Decisive Moment but a lapse of time I do not see. In this, I can continue to be surprised by what I don't see clearly. Then the image can become anything I want. There are no mistakes, no indecisiveness, nothing to like or dislike: they are what they are.

Zurich 2016

_DSF2919 copy - Copy by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

DSCF1210 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

DSCF2589 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

DSCF2673 copy by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

_DSC2456 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

Tom dinning

Registrant*
What a beautiful world ... :)

Not mine, Wolfgang.
It just is.
You can make of it what you will. I'm content with it being as it is, an incoherent jumble of probabilities taken to the nth degree.
The world and its contents do not need to be seen as beautiful. I'm content just seeing them, even if it is in faded light and fraudulent focus.
I'm of the opinion that we might not be satisfied with ugliness, disarray and the uncomfortable feeling of feeling a bit uncomfortable.
Beauty grabs us like a throttling vine and squeezes reality from our vision, not once but twice: first, in our search for it and second in our denial of the richness of what is not.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
In our search for beauty, we are distracted from the prize.
Only when we have no knowledge of the concept is there a reward, an envy, a connection with the truth.
Beauty is not the truth. Beauty is less than reality.
Only the harshness of living, the denial of getting, the distance between us and what we want will give us a true knowledge of how we are.

_DSC3398 copy by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

So glad to see you back, you insufferable. . .

Wonderful images, very interesting thoughts.

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi, Tom,

So glad to see you back, you insufferable. . .

Wonderful images, very interesting thoughts.

Best regards,

Doug

insufferable
ɪnˈsʌf(ə)rəb(ə)l/Submit
adjective
too extreme to bear; intolerable.
"the heat would be insufferable by July"
synonyms: intolerable, unbearable, unendurable, insupportable, unacceptable, oppressive, overwhelming, overpowering, impossible, not to be borne, past bearing, too much to bear, more than one can stand, more than flesh and blood can stand, enough to try/test/tax the patience of a saint; unspeakable, dreadful, excruciating, grim, outrageous; informal too much
"an insufferable glare of publicity"
having or showing unbearable arrogance or conceit.
"an insufferable bully"
synonyms: conceited, arrogant, boastful, cocky, cocksure, full of oneself, above oneself, self-important, immodest, swaggering, strutting; vain, self-satisfied, self-congratulatory, pleased with oneself, self-loving, in love with oneself, self-admiring, self-regarding, smug, complacent; informal swollen-headed, big-headed, too big for one's boots; literary vainglorious; rare peacockish
"his triumph had made him insufferable"

At last! A personality with dimensions. Best I am hated for these thinks than liked because of my conformity.

xxx

Robert Watcher

I really like your set of images. You have a very good eye and use your photographic tools and abilities well.

------

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I really like your set of images. You have a very good eye and use your photographic tools and abilities well.

------

Actually, Robert, my eyes are shot. I shoot on 'guess' mode. As far as the camera is concerned I feel as though I have come the full circle. As the martial artist does, I have returned to the white belt.
I own the simplest of cameras, use the simplest of settings and shoot with the simplest of instincts.

Each day I cleanse my mind of what I know and work with what little instincts I have. I seek no understanding or praise. Perhaps I have a destructive approach. Perhaps.

Robert Watcher

Actually, Robert, my eyes are shot. I shoot on 'guess' mode. As far as the camera is concerned I feel as though I have come the full circle. As the martial artist does, I have returned to the white belt.
I own the simplest of cameras, use the simplest of settings and shoot with the simplest of instincts.

Each day I cleanse my mind of what I know and work with what little instincts I have. I seek no understanding or praise. Perhaps I have a destructive approach. Perhaps.

I am not referring to your physical eye.

I never mentioned camera.

If you didn't desire recognition or acknowledgement of your photographs, you would be keeping them to yourself or not taking pictures at all.

I could care less about your use of exaggerated self deprication in an attempt to force those viewing your posts, into accepting the illusion of yourself that you want us to have. That is why I will stick to talking about your photographs - which I happen to find to be quite competent and enjoyable to look at.

--------

Doug Kerr

We pay a price for everything we get.

In some cases it is exacted on the "wrapper" - for some tasty and nourishing breakfast cereal, perhaps the manufacturer's exaggerated claims on the box, or the list, in a minuscule font, of the 307 ingredients in it.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

If you didn't desire recognition or acknowledgement of your photographs, you would be keeping them to yourself or not taking pictures at all.

I could care less about your use of exaggerated self deprication in an attempt to force those viewing your posts, into accepting the illusion of yourself that you want us to have. That is why I will stick to talking about your photographs - which I happen to find to be quite competent and enjoyable to look at.

--------

Really!

Robert,

Yes it's just the actual pictures that gives Tom his placemat at the table and he's welcome!

But outback guys have a persona and this is his. The hard thing is that when Tom is downright hostile, dismissive and rude he is either having fun or thinking he is bringing reality to haughty, self-impressed folk. I tolerate this rusty patina as underneath there is sensitivity and humanity attested by the compositions shown here. Tom can wear whatever cloak he chooses, I like you appreciate his personal window to the planet.

The prickly, self-effacing banter, is to me just bark that peels from a tree, sort of raw and earthy but not Shakespeare or the Beatles!

If he talked as he does here in an Aukland, NZ bar, his jaw would get busted! In Darwin however, this banter means he likes us!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Really!

Robert,

Yes it's just the actual pictures that gives Tom his placemat at the table and he's welcome!

But outback guys have a persona and this is his. The hard thing is that when Tom is downright hostile, dismissive and rude he is either having fun or thinking he is bringing reality to haughty, self-impressed folk. I tolerate this rusty patina as underneath there is sensitivity and humanity attested by the compositions shown here. Tom can wear whatever cloak he chooses, I like you appreciate his personal window to the planet.

The prickly, self-effacing banter, is to me just bark that peels from a tree, sort of raw and earthy but not Shakespeare or the Beatles!

If he talked as he does here in an Aukland, NZ bar, his jaw would get busted! In Darwin however, this banter means he likes us!

Asher

I was meaning what I stated in the nicest way. I never believe anyone who attempts to convince others about the type of person he or she is. Tom is all hot air trying to get a reaction. However I only happen to like his photographs. The best answer from him would be THANKS. You Asher - as the author of this forum - can like and tolerate whatever you want of Tom LOL>>>

--------

Don Ferguson Jr.

Tom, nice series and I really like that one on your flickr site of the nun sitting in the pew with the great
light streaming through the windows. Also, the one of the man with the mustache looking at you in a friendly glare. Lol
Don

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Here we go again. Still, its a conversation and it is raining and I am consumed with boredom.

I am not referring to your physical eye.

I never mentioned camera.

I know you weren't referring to my physical eye, Robert. My sarcasm was a response to your metaphor; a legitimate way of responding in a conversation, I believe. We are not all morons in Australia, you know.

I, in turn, couldn't care less (or perhaps I could care less) about you not caring less, Robert. Your levels of caring are neither my concern or source of provocation.
My level of self-deprecation (note the spelling and use of hyphen) has its own motivations, none of which are to 'force'anyone to do anything. I'm of the thinking that intelligent humans can resist such manipulation.
As for the illusion; is that what we are about? Each image is just that; an illusion of the reality we achieve from our own perspective.

Your comment was not about my photographs at all; the comment was about YOU. You told me you like the photographs. Who is that about? Certainly not about my images. And when you referred to your judgements on how you believe I use photographic tools (and I might assume a camera is involved there) you are once again talking about yourself, not the images.

None of this is of any disliking to me, but none of that is why I take photographs, nor is any of what you say have anything to do with why I post here.
In addition, nothing I say is meant to provocate discernment, only conversation.

Thank you for yours.

By the way, I equally enjoy looking at your photos. Not for their aethetic appeal or story telling qualities but for their commonality and blandness.

Cheers
Tom

--------

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I was meaning what I stated in the nicest way. I never believe anyone who attempts to convince others about the type of person he or she is. Tom is all hot air trying to get a reaction. However I only happen to like his photographs. The best answer from him would be THANKS. You Asher - as the author of this forum - can like and tolerate whatever you want of Tom LOL>>>

--------

You and Asher can talk over me as if I was a deceased patient on an operating table.

Robert, you don't need to be nice. I'm not dead yet.

And Asher, what have I said before. I need no support or defence unless it is from Christine.

Robert, words like thanks are throw-away platitudes that bring a conversation to a close. What do I do if I have other thoughts in my head relating to your comments - or photos, for that matter?

I don't know if you see your, or my images as art. Let's say they are art. We'll allow the procrastinators to argue over that.

You are so right in saying I post my photos here for a reason, but it is not necessarily to please. Art has long since moved from that motivation.

Beauty was indeed the most common purpose of art way back when. But the content and context of all art has gone through some radical changes, especially since the invention of photography.

One particularly important function of photography as an art form is to encourage people to interpret.
Faced with an image that might look real, this is a difficult task for most. It requires more than just looking for pleasures. It requires time: time to examine, to absorb, to recognise, to connect, to understand and finally to interpret.

This is no different from any other work of art except that we are confused by the implied reality of the photograph. Instead of seeing the photo as a thing to be interpreted we see it as the thing photographed. We simplify our thoughts to platitudes and deny the photograph more than that.

Only when we see the image on the wall of an important gallery do we consider it more. The context is important.

I'm not suggesting OPF is an important gallery. Blogs and forums are a dime a dozen. This is a place for people of similar interests to share what they do.

Being nice to one another is a fine thing and should be admired.

Unfortunately, like any platitude, as I have said, the conversation is halted and we learn nothing except we are polite to one another.

And I don't mean telling people how they should take photos. By the time Asher has scrutinised us at entry we have already passed some sort of test (although there are times when even I question the legitimacy of the results) and I don't remember anyone asking me at the beginning if I had an opinion or what it was.

Culture is often brought up in regard to my behaviour as if it is somehow to be ignored or worshipped.

Its true. I am a product of the culture in which I live. That culture is confusing to some. To me it is home. On the one hand, I am of a strong academic culture and on the other, I am part of the convict qualities my ancestors brought here.

Let me explain.

As a young man, I would go to the pub with my mates. We would get a little drunk and someone would say something controversial. No topic was sacred. We would begin arguing, shouting and bickering as the beer continued to flow. Abuse would be forthcoming and even the occasional push and shove. The argument never resolved itself until we were too drunk to walk, talk or find our way home.

But we would always end the night with a pat on each other's back and a laugh. Why? Because we knew that we had shared ideas and that in among that we had learnt something.

1. Mates can say anything. We each can filter out the bullshit from the facts.

2. We always learnt stuff about each other and about ourselves.

3. We were always more informed than before.

5. We always looked forward to the next meeting.

After 40 years I still converse with some of these mates. Why? Because we always have something we can discuss. We still argue, we still swear at each other. We can always rely on each other to be honest - even if we are wrong. We even allow a bit of lying.

OPF could be like that pub with my mates showing each other pictures. My mate Boots (don't ask where that name came from) would only look at tits and boobs, Williams would look at the landscapes and make monkey noises, Davo would be contemplating the quantum nature of the universe and the place of photography in it, Gazza would tell you he could do better with his box brownie (which he probably could have) and I would be abusing all of them for their contempt at the art of it all.

Just hypothetical, mind you, but its given me an idea for a story.

In closing, Robert, I can only say, in my own defence, that I am a little uncouth and bigoted. I have few social graces (the reason I constantly embarrass Christine when in mixed company), and I do go on a bit - as you have just noted. But I am genuinely interested in what photographs do beyond the usual expression of pleasure.

That is why I am here. That is why I post. That is why I comment.

As for talking about myself: who esle do you know is as interesting and well informed? Unless you consider yourself.

Your next best friend

Tom

You buy the first round.

Jerome Marot

Robert, words like thanks are throw-away platitudes that bring a conversation to a close. What do I do if I have other thoughts in my head relating to your comments - or photos, for that matter?

I don't know if you see your, or my images as art. Let's say they are art. We'll allow the procrastinators to argue over that.

You are so right in saying I post my photos here for a reason, but it is not necessarily to please. Art has long since moved from that motivation.

Beauty was indeed the most common purpose of art way back when. But the content and context of all art has gone through some radical changes, especially since the invention of photography.

One particularly important function of photography as an art form is to encourage people to interpret.
Faced with an image that might look real, this is a difficult task for most. It requires more than just looking for pleasures. It requires time: time to examine, to absorb, to recognise, to connect, to understand and finally to interpret.

This is no different from any other work of art except that we are confused by the implied reality of the photograph. Instead of seeing the photo as a thing to be interpreted we see it as the thing photographed. We simplify our thoughts to platitudes and deny the photograph more than that.

Only when we see the image on the wall of an important gallery do we consider it more. The context is important.

I'm not suggesting OPF is an important gallery. Blogs and forums are a dime a dozen. This is a place for people of similar interests to share what they do.

Being nice to one another is a fine thing and should be admired.

Unfortunately, like any platitude, as I have said, the conversation is halted and we learn nothing except we are polite to one another.

So we should not say thanks, but we should interpret?

I am not sure I understand. I thought that, as human beings, we cannot not interpret.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
So we should not say thanks, but we should interpret?

I am not sure I understand. I thought that, as human beings, we cannot not interpret.

Probably true, Jerome.
But might we confuse interpretation with judgement?
Understanding is different to appreciation.

I'm not suggesting appreciation or judgement are invalid, just misunderstood and misused.

Would you prefer a viewer to simply like your images or to understand or interpret them?

Would you prefer a viewer to place judgement or create conversation?

Would you prefer a viewer to question your composition or discuss the context?

Would you prefer to know about the camera and setting or the circumstances of an image?

Would you prefer to discuss the photographers life or his images?

One way is simple the other is complex.

One way tells us about the nature of the photograph, the other tells us about the viewer.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Probably true, Jerome.
But might we confuse interpretation with judgement?
Understanding is different to appreciation.

I'm not suggesting appreciation or judgement are invalid, just misunderstood and misused.

Would you prefer a viewer to simply like your images or to understand or interpret them?

Would you prefer a viewer to place judgement or create conversation?

Would you prefer a viewer to question your composition or discuss the context?

Would you prefer to know about the camera and setting or the circumstances of an image?

Would you prefer to discuss the photographers life or his images?

One way is simple the other is complex.

One way tells us about the nature of the photograph, the other tells us about the viewer.

No matter what, comments always must reflect some of the nature of the both the photographer and the viewer of the photograph. The first transforms a window's view to some marks, while the second is, in fact interpreting what then functions as a pretty version of an ink-blot Rorschach test!

Asher

Peter Dexter

I very much like the concept of the first posted set and the individual images with the exception of the rose shot which doesn't seem to fit. These images could be printed huge and shown in a gallery. There are too many additional images following to comment on.