• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I tried Nicolas's sharpening action

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I see two problems with Nicolas' sharpening! First the fish rotated in the process, second it lost part of the right fin, LOL!

Otherwise it's beautiful. Looks like she's got lip glosss!

A before would be helpful!

Thanks,

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well, this time it should be faster, LOL!!!!!!

Otherwise we have no sense of whether Nicolas and you have some sort of conspiracy going on here!

Asher

Ron Morse

Different subject

I went out to one of the pastures this morning and was greeted by big Benson. I figured a shot around the eye with the 70-200 f/2.8 IS would be a good try for Nicolas's sharpening as a couple of certain people asked for.

Before sharpening.

With Nicolas's action.

Ron Morse

Their is about 2 feet of snow left where he is standing. You can actually she hoof prints in the snow in his eye.

Nice, without looking artificial or "over sharpened"

I'll have to try it. I have a picture that benefits greatly from careful sharpening, but shows the effects of oversharpening.

I'm on a shooting expedition for the next week, but if this thread is still alive when I return I'll try Nic's action and post before and after versions.

Asher Kelman

Well, Ron, that's a huge departure from fish! I love that image of the horse. At least as a teaser!

I'd love to see a larger image for several reasons. First the horse looks great as a subject. Next a large picture would ass more fine textures and the grass too. Each might respond a little differently to the sharpening.

As it is, I must take my hat off to Nicolas for the great process he has put together. Kudos and thanks to you both!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Thanks all

I'm very happy that you find this action working well.

The only issue is that on large (very) files it make takes several minutes to perform (i.e. 300 dpi A1 size - 16 bits)... even on dual-Core Intel 2.66, but only 4 Gb of ram... so expensive!

Ron Morse

Well, Asher, I took this last fall before the camera was tuned up by canon but they show some different textures.

Unsharpened

Nicolas's sharpening.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Lot of things to do... maybe also lack of RAM...

I gave it a quick try; about a minute for a 120 MB 1DS-2-tiff, in 16 bit, on a (PPC) Quad with 8 GB of RAM.
Is it darkening a bit the shadows - popping up contrast?

Here's a comparison: unsharpend at the left, Nicolas action at the center, and Uwe Steinmüller's Easy sharpening at the right. All in 300%, PS.

My quick conclusion: Nicolas's acction is slightly sharpening stronger than "Easy sharpening" does.

Nicolas, do you use it as final sharpening, before delivering the images to the clients? I see, you went the LAB-route ;-)
Thanks for sharing! Sorry, no pets, here ;-)

nicolas_sharpen.jpg

Last edited:

nicolas claris

Bonsoir Michael
yes, I do agree, but:
- that's the way I like my pics, with contrasts and colorfull.
- the action produces a layer that is set by default at 70%, easy to tweak:
- sometimes I get it back to 30%
- sometimes I increase it to 100%
- I may also do a level with midtone around 1.1
- You may also use the eraser on some part...

I think such an action cannot be used the same way on all pictures, but it is - for me - a good start...

Thanks for trying it!

Asher Kelman

Michael,

Great example. However, it's coming up as jagies especially the diagonals. Could you post a less compressed jpg?

This is too good a contribution not to see it at it's best!

Thanks,

Asher

nicolas claris

Different tries from different persons are of course very interesting and a good test for my sharpness action. However there are many other action around, I think it would be interesting too to test Benjamin Kanarek workflow.
I'll give it a try tomorrow.
I also think that this thread should be merged with Benjamin's thread (in "Layback cafe") and moved to "Image Processing and Workflow" forum.

Asher if you agree could you do this?

Michael Fontana

pro member
Bonsoir Michael
yes, I do agree, but:
- that's the way I like my pics, with contrasts and colorfull.
- the action produces a layer that is set by default at 70%, easy to tweak:
- sometimes I get it back to 30%
- sometimes I increase it to 100%
- I may also do a level with midtone around 1.1
- You may also use the eraser on some part...

I think such an action cannot be used the same way on all pictures, but it is - for me - a good start...

Thanks for trying it!

Helas Nicolas

ç'était pas du mauvais ésprit; et je savais d' exagerér en agrandissant a troiscent...

Setting the layer's opacity is a very valuable option, that I tried, too. Nicolas statement "I think such an action cannot be used the same way on all pictures" is identical with my own experiences.

I like the enhancement of the black, as I usually tend to keep them "open", till the last step. This pops contrast and color. I used your action today, in a rather "creative sharpening" - following the terms of Bruce Fraser - with a mask, for "selective" sharpness.

Still the question: Do you use it as last step, before reducing to 8-bit?

nicolas claris

ç'était pas du mauvais ésprit; et je savais d' exagerér en agrandissant a troiscent...
300% is a good way to check also, then it's also interesting to see at 100% (and even at 50%)
I didn't understand your comments as "mauvais esprit" at all!
Comments may be negative also, though I didn't take them as so...
Still the question: Do you use it as last step, before reducing to 8-bit?
It is generally the last step before I save the file as LAB 16 bits, then:
- if the final output is RGB, I convert to the desired RGB color space prior to reduce to 16 bits
- if the final output is cmyk, I convert to appropriate cmyk color space prior to reduce to 16 bits

Sometimes it reveals some spots (not necessarly sensor's dust) so I'll have some cloning (but that can be done in 8 bits)

Michael Fontana

pro member
ok, so he' re the 100%views, taken from screenshots at 72 dpi, and converted to sRGB. Still its not a 100% view of a tiff in PS....

BTW: It's shot from Distagon 28 on a 1 DS-2.

100_a.jpg

100_b.jpg

100_c.jpg

Nicolas, thanks for clarifying the action's place in your workflow.
This reminds me, that I generally tend to sharpen rather conservative, as - when delivering the shots - I never know its final size, use, CMYK-profile, etc.

nicolas claris

Nicolas, thanks for clarifying the action's place in your workflow.
This reminds me, that I generally tend to sharpen rather conservative, as - when delivering the shots - I never know its final size, use, CMYK-profile, etc.

Hi Michael

thanks for posting the above, I honestly have to admit that I don't prefer th "esay sharpening" versions...

I generally deliver my pics to the clients as this:
Out of camera size at 300 dpi / sRGB

I convert to cmyk when I know where (USA/Europe) it will be printed and on what kind of printer.

Otherwise, we mainly use our pics for producing ads or brochure for our clients so we know size and color space needed!

Have a great day

Asher Kelman

I'm posting this for Richard McNeil.

First the lobster, original, unsharpened:

LobsterOrig.jpg

and now sharpened with Nicolas Claris' actions:

LobsterSharpened.jpg

Now the bird (what is it and where do you find them) original

BirdOrig.jpg

and sharpened

BirdSharpened.jpg