• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Winter Jasmine multispectral

Dr Klaus Schmitt

166851104.Iwl6Xas3.WinterJasminex44_c.jpg

Quadriptych of human vision, UV, simulated butterfly and bee vision (left to right, top to bottom)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The second of the set could work for me if I didnt know of the shot in visible light. Its hard to imagine the assigned colors in the last two.

Now do we have any idea what colors the insect might experience?

How would we reach that knowledge?

Is there a concention is assigning insect vision colors or is it representative of some scientific method?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Well, the sensitivities of their eyes have been researched for quite some time, also the neuronal processing they do in their optical systems in their brains (there are various theories though), but what they actually "see", we cannot imagine.

What I have done is map their sensitivities and subsequently my images (which were done using matching filters) into out human color space, hence why I call it "simulated" bee/butterfly vision as no-one can really know.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, the sensitivities of their eyes have been researched for quite some time, also the neuronal processing they do in their optical systems in their brains (there are various theories though), but what they actually "see", we cannot imagine.

What I have done is map their sensitivities and subsequently my images (which were done using matching filters) into out human color space, hence why I call it "simulated" bee/butterfly vision as no-one can really know.

Is there any reason why you cannot make a new convention in which the resultant colors are mapped only into color spaces where the landed color would show as being beatifully complementary or fitting with the other colors of the flower in the wavelengths of light chosen to view flower.

That would result in logical combinations which would always appear beautiful to us!

Asher