• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Winter in the UK Lake District

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

A long time absent from this forum for me. Not that I haven't been doing any photography, but just not sharing as much. Planning to re-focus on my photography for 2018 though, and no harm in starting a resolution early!

A taste below of the UK Lake District in winter. Often a time when the valleys below can be benign, but the summits themselves are an entirely different proposition - and must be taken seriously by those climbing them.

These were taken on, or near, the summit of Bowfell in Langdale. Until about 400m from the top all was relatively easy going, but then conditions became fairly epic.

Unconsolidated loose snow began to reach depths of 3-4ft and I was walking in cloud with howling wind and spin-drift (blowing snow) that made wearing ski-google a necessity. I class these kind of conditions as 'good fun', but I'm, sure others would disagree.

Conditions actually improved a bit as I made way back down, with the cloud slowly lifting to reveal the nearby fells in their winter coats. A grand day out by all accounts, and worth the tired legs.

2017_12_ASxp2_13279.jpg

2017_12_ASxp2_13314.jpg

2017_12_ASxp2_13318.jpg

2017_12_ASxp2_13321.jpg

2017_12_ASxp2_13351.jpg

2017_12_ASxp2_13393.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Andrew.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Andrew,

I have only been here during the summer and the single time was last summer. My knowledge of the beauty of The Lake District actually come from OPF! We immediately fell in love with the place, but did curse the narrow winding roads and the sharp rocks hidden in the hedges or grasses at the edge of the road which cost us a tire at $350!

But we met such lovely folk down that street who actually have a system of consolation for the 3-4 folk who get their tires ripped each year!

Your pictures here are so dramatic and energized. Fabulous!

We just had beautiful waterways and villages with lush landscapes.

Asher

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Thanks Asher.

The narrow roads and hidden rocks are a curse that have caught out many folk - including myself on one occasion. Sorry to hear of your tire, hopefully the rewards of the views you got were worth it!

I love the Lake District in summer as well as winter. Although in truth it's in the wild weather when I feel most alive! The guttural calls of Ravens drifting through the air, whilst a cold wind whips across my face somehow stir me! Although by summer I'm sure I'll be ready to laze around gazing across a lake at a beautiful sunset.

Thanks,
Andrew.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Superb takes Andrew!
For long Lake District is on my to travel list, your post is a good reminder to put it on the top of the list : )
Thank you!

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Thanks Nicolas,

Well worth a visit if you get the opportunity - although of course there are always so many other potential destinations also vying for attention.

An extra photo from the Lake District below, just for you!

2008_02_AS6381.jpg

Thanks,
Andrew.

Asher Kelman

Thanks Nicolas,

Well worth a visit if you get the opportunity - although of course there are always so many other potential destinations also vying for attention.

2008_02_AS6381.jpg

Well, Andrew,

Nicolas is generous and am sure he won't mind sharing this wonderful present. Besides being so beautiful with the bg of trees and a straddling low mist, that sail boat is interesting in itself. What a wonderful reflection of the tall sails in the water below!

It seems to have place to sleep 4-6 below and must be pretty large. The one sail had a lower horizontal boom and at an angle what seems to be like a "piston device" for tacking that sail from one side to the other, or else is it a rolled up 3rd sail?

The sail in the front is huge and has a curved lower edge. I wonder how that gets controlled?

Does anyone recognize this class of vessel?

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

I, for one, find spin-drift conditions as great fun. But then again I grew up on the Arctic Circle. Lovely set of pictures, Andrew.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Andrew,

Thanks Nicolas,

2008_02_AS6381.jpg

A wondrous image. Thanks so much.

If I had any comment, it is that to me the white reflections near the very bottom of the frame are distracting.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi,

A long time absent from this forum for me. Not that I haven't been doing any photography, but just not sharing as much. Planning to re-focus on my photography for 2018 though, and no harm in starting a resolution early!

A taste below of the UK Lake District in winter. Often a time when the valleys below can be benign, but the summits themselves are an entirely different proposition - and must be taken seriously by those climbing them.

These were taken on, or near, the summit of Bowfell in Langdale. Until about 400m from the top all was relatively easy going, but then conditions became fairly epic.

Unconsolidated loose snow began to reach depths of 3-4ft and I was walking in cloud with howling wind and spin-drift (blowing snow) that made wearing ski-google a necessity. I class these kind of conditions as 'good fun', but I'm, sure others would disagree.

Conditions actually improved a bit as I made way back down, with the cloud slowly lifting to reveal the nearby fells in their winter coats. A grand day out by all accounts, and worth the tired legs.

2017_12_ASxp2_13279.jpg

2017_12_ASxp2_13321.jpg

Andrew,

If I could reach the area by road and then walk say, 1/4 mile, I could do this, but forhmget climbing. BTW, what's the elevation. Just realize I could get short of breath just from the lower oxygen level, LOL!

Until when is this snow?

Also, are folks sailing when it is this cold?

Asher

Beautiful photos, Andrew. My favorite is the very first one which is simply fascinating to look at. Wow, the frost on those stones and the very gray sky, just are amazing to me. Just beautiful!

:) Maggie